Options

SQL errors below was occured :

kamel.hedikamel.hedi Member Posts: 61
Does Someone know what means this message occured when connecting to SQL Server database from a client Navision (authentication type :DB Server authentication)

"SQL errors below was occured :

2764, "42000", [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]incorrect password for the application permission '$ndo$ar$59A3....' "

$ndo$ar$59A3.... is a role given to the user who want to connect..
in Service Manager (on SQL server), this user have only the permission public

When i give the permission dbowner to the user (from Service Manager of SQL Server), he can connect to the DB.
BUT IT'S NOT NORMAL TO GIVE THIS PERMISSION TO ALL USERS.

Does someona have a solution, a raison of this error?
THANKS
HKAMEL

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Navision is using Application role to connect to SQL DB. It is why users need only Public permissions to the DB - because all what they do through Navision, is done under Application role of the Navision. It seems, that something changed this Application role (changed password for it) - did you some changes on the DB directly? Did you some backup restore or upgrade? Did you some changes on your Active directory?

I do not know the path how to re-create the Application role for Navision (I think it is created in DB Creation process)...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Hi Kine, u have wrote :

Navision is using Application role to connect to SQL DB. It is why users need only Public permissions to the DB - because all what they do through Navision, is done under Application role of the Navision. It seems, that something changed this Application role (changed password for it) - did you some changes on the DB directly? Did you some backup restore or upgrade? Did you some changes on your Active directory?

I didn't any changes neither in the Active directory, nor restore or upgrade
    BUT I think u re wright, because i have given to all users the role Application SUPER (we have no longer dispatched the roles application to the users of the databases, all of them have the role SUPER on the company=my company)

i think the role SUPER need the permission DBOWNER on the SQL to be given to a user (unless dbowner role, the SUPER user connection make a confilct in permissions on the SQL Server)

Do u think so, have I wright ?
    HKAMEL
  • Options
    SUPER role within Navision have nothing with Application role in MS SQL...

but back to your question:

There are many combinations of the roles in Navision and on MS SQL which can do many problems etc... But main thing is:

1) users need only public permission to the DB
    2) designers need to be at least db_owner
    3) administrator need to have permissions to the master DB to be able to upload license there (if you do not have per DB license).

All what Navision is doing in MS SQL server with data, all is done through Application role (Application roles bypass standard permissions). This role have some password, which know only the application, and this application activate this role for the connection through this password. In you case it seems, that this password was changed (in DB or in Navision)...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    fbfb Member Posts: 246
    i have given to all users the role Application SUPER...
    Did you run 'Tools, Security, Synchronize' after making the change?
  • Options
    fb has wrote :

Did you run 'Tools, Security, Synchronize' after making the change?

Yes i have run the Synchronize routine and this has resolved the problem, but must I this (synchronize) from all the Client sessions/posts or only from the session from which i did the change (The change is : Re-customize, Re-cofigure the ODBC DSN user : I have change the ODBC for SQL Server and I have TESTED the connection to the Server with another ID user (The SUPER on ALL COMPANIES) ). Perhaps this is the source of the Problem...?????????????

thanks
    HKAMEL
  • Options
    This is problem connected to the Application role - it is why your ODBC connection is OK... only Navision has problem...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    emanuelemanuel Member Posts: 22
    Hi all,

We have similar problem with the application roles. In our case we use SQL Server 2000, Navision 4, database authentication. The problem occurs on 2 out of 20 computers.

When a user tries to login as 'sa' (dbowner), it works. When he logs in with "stadnard user" account, the message about incorrect application role is displayed. He still can login from another computer where it works.

Synchronization was run several times. This applies for all user logins that don't have dbowner right.

I have doble checked ODBC Encrypt function via SQL statements (works fine), reinstalled MBS-Navision, no progress.

Anybody knows what to do?
    <--Emanuel-->
  • Options
    Michael_SchumacherMichael_Schumacher Member Posts: 81
    emanuel wrote:
    Hi all,
    The problem occurs on 2 out of 20 computers.

dependent from the machine itself?
    or is it dependent from windows login?
    are there any differences between these windows logins besides the name and Password?
    regards,
    Michael Schumacher

oh, what day is it? Backup day. OK, let's dump all data to /dev/nul ;-)
  • Options
    dependent from the machine itself?
    or is it dependent from windows login?
    are there any differences between these windows logins besides the name and Password?

Yes, it is machine-dependent. We are using database logins. If we try to login to the server using login A from that computer it doesn't work. When we login from the other computers, it just works for that login A. Server and client computers are not in domain. Do you think that Windows login can influence this behavior (even when using database authentication)? Btw. all logins have the same user role (except sa - he has role super).
    <--Emanuel-->
  • Options
    Yes, it might be possible, that there are influences in windows login, that was why I asked.
    if there would be a domain my next question would be:
    Did you ever try to logon to the misbehaving workstation with a windows login which works on other machines?

But without domain... hmmm.
    Do the logged on users have the same lokal permissions? e.g. local administrator or main user

what is the operation system and SP on this machines?
    are all users known at the server (can they map a sharing on it)?

questions over questions....
    regards,
    Michael Schumacher

• Options
    Thanks for the questions.

We will check user permissions on the computers, if they differ. Operating system is Windows 2000, I see no information about Service pack. Version number is 5.0.2195.

Computers are "per user", i.e. access to the computer is granted for administrator and user that is using it. No other logins are specified. For administrator, however, the login didn't work too.

We will check the Service pack information. If none present, we will install up-to-date Service pack to see if that helps.
    <--Emanuel-->
  • Options
    edited 2005-09-07
    still one question left unanswered
    can everyone connect to a server share?
    that means, are all windows logins also known at the windows server?
    if not this might cause problems

but you said that with administrator (same password as administrator on the server?) login failed.....

another thing:

try to check mdac version on the machines if they are different....
    regards,
    Michael Schumacher

• Options
    still one question left unanswered
    can everyone connect to a server share?
    that means, are all windows logins also known at the windows server?
    if not this might cause problems

No, windows users are not know on the server. What share shall they have access to?
    <--Emanuel-->
  • Options
    emanuel wrote:
    No, windows users are not know on the server. What share shall they have access to?

doesn't matter which one. if they can, then it is good enough ;-)
    please take a second look at my last posting. ->edited :D
    regards,
    Michael Schumacher

• Options
    Okay, I see. We will check also mdac versions on the machines.

Administrator account is different on client computers and server machine on all the computers.
    <--Emanuel-->
  • Options
    So if nothing helped yet, I'm out, I have no more Idea....

besides drinking a dark Krusovice and think it all over.
    Unfortunately I can't get it here.
    regards,
    Michael Schumacher

• Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    A few comments:

Using Windows Authentication in Navision requires Windows Directory Services (2000 or 2003) (this is Navision limitation). Workstations and database server must be in the same domain.

'Tools, Security, Synchronize' must be run as a user that is a member of the SQL role 'Security Administrators' or better.

Database Authentication is independent of Windows login and Windows user rights. With database authentication, the user only needs IP access to the server. Either through DNS or by entering the ip address into the Navision login. This is a common configuration when installing Navision in a non-Windows environment.

The ability to map a drive is not a valid test of access to SQL on the same computer. The access rights for these are independently assigned. From a performance (and security) note, you should avoid creating user shares on a dedicated SQL server.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    Problem solved - after installing Service Pack 4 on client computer. Thanks everybody for the assistance.

Emanuel
    <--Emanuel-->