Options

Navision API documentation

nenninenni Member Posts: 5
Hi

Does anyone know of any API documentation for standard Navision?

JP

Comments

• Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    There's not really an API for Navision, but C/FRONT is the closest thing to it. I have never used it myself, but you should find lots of info on it on the product cd.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply Daniel.

Sorry for not being clear enough on what I was asking for but I was refering to the C/SIDE part of Navision and how you can best use the existing code that comes with the standard system. AFAIK a few years ago there existed some kind of document describing part of the codeunits (in version 2.0 I think) but I have been unable to locate it. I've also come up empty handed regarding newer versions.

I'm talking about, for example, information on how to use existing code to assist in creating journal entries or managing dimensions. I would use this kind of documentation to speed up my development by not having to hunt through the existing codebase trying to understand what it needs to do it's job.

If this kind of documentation exists, it is something MBS should be hanging up on a billboard with flashing lights around it instead of hiding it in some dark closet.

If it does not exist, then shame on MBS. This is something every developer expects to exist and needs.

Cheers,
    JP
  • Options
    dmtindugandmtindugan Member Posts: 3
    Hi JP,

You could use 'Navision Developers Toolkit' to check what tables, forms, codeunits a certain object is calling. All variables whether global or local can be seen through this tool.

This is somewhat a 'Source Analyzer' tool. In this way it will help u
    study out the structure of Navision Modules. Also, when it comes to
    internal process such as posting for sales, purchases and g/l entries
    there is no documentation for this. You need to study them out
    and this is real hardcore programming.

Regards

David
  • Options
    True indeed David.

Thanks for the NDT pointer. I'll check it out.

JP
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Without going into a dissertation about whether or not we should have this documentation :), it does not exist, at least not supported by Microsoft. Do what we all do, which is steal functionality by looking at how Navision does it. If you don't understand parts of it, you post a question in this forum and we'll try to help you out.
  • Options
    Yes, that is what I have been doing. I was just wondering if there was an easier and quicker way available through some kind of documentation.

Thanks all for the quick replies.

JP