My license doesn't permit me to, but is there a way...

yuppicideyuppicide Member Posts: 410
edited 2013-07-08 in Navision Attain
Nav 3.10A. My license doesn't allow me to change the length of a field on the customer card. There's the main customer card with an E-Mail field. The field is Text80.. puhlenty of space for email address. There's also a tab with Contacts where we can enter more emails. For some reason they made that length only Text30. Some email addresses are longer than that.

Is there any way for me to get around me making that field longer?

We don't want to pay for it.

Comments

• Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Ask your NAV partner to do it for free.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Ask your NAV partner to do it for free.

:mrgreen:

It's a 15 minute job, of which 14 minutes to login to the system. With 100 bucks/hours its 25$.
    Wait a minute here, doesn't the CRONUS license permit to change the customer table?
  • yuppicideyuppicide Member Posts: 410
    Unfortunately we don't really have a partner anymore. We used to pay a yearly fee per user I think (10 user license), but it was pretty useless. We got nothing out of it except all the wasted money. I don't really know what the fee was for. Any changes we needed done they charged us anyway.

I Googled it and I think you're right:

"In addition, you can modify the following objects in the Object Designer:

Table 18 can be modified. Fields from 99,990 through 99,999 can be inserted.
    Forms 21 and 22 can be modified. Forms 99,998 and 99,999 can be inserted."

So, in order to temporarily try and change a license, does everyone else need to be out of Navision? Do I need to stop the server if I only want to change my license temporarily? Am I doing it through tools, license, change in Navision or do I need to just rename the flf files? I assume I need everyone out of my system so do it when they're on lunch..
    You can change the license localy without affecting others.

The fact that you don't pay maintenance does not mean you don't have a partner or you can't hire anyone to do a change to your system.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    We have many customers who do not pay the annual fee.
    It's basically just time and material.

The issue with many solution center is that they don't have a dedicated Tech support team. They are too small to have a dedicated person/people.
    The Tech support time is not charged to the client. If customer calls that is outside of tech support, then the client is advised that this a change request and are directed to consultant that works with them.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    Thanks I've done that, but can't login. I think I need to make a new database/company.
    You don't need to go to a company to make object changes.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

If I am in Navision, and I go to license, change, and select chronus, then it closes everything (ie logs me out) and I Object Designer is greyed out. I can switch back to my license and if I try to access Object Designer it'll have me login first.
    Once you change your license. Click on File->database->Open. Select your database and click ok.

Then click on object designer.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

File -> Database -> Open does nothing. But I do see our name on the bottom, so I go to File -> Our Name and it says:

"Your program license permits a maximum of 0 nondemonstration companies. Contact the system manager if you need to set up additional companies.

You can, however, create an unlimited number of demonstration companies. Their names must start with "CHRONUS."
    Yup.

Create a new database, import all your objects and create a new company "CRONUS".

make the change, export the object and import into your DB.

8)
    Okay! I'm getting closer, I still can't get it to work, though.

Made a small database on my desktop.

I was able to import the required files needed in for Customer Card and to be able to change license to chronus.

Made a company. "CHRONUS." just like it's typed, CHRONUS., CHRONUS, and even CHRONUSTEST. None work and give me that message.
    You're right I did misspell that, but I still get the same error using CRONUS.

The only way a database will open is if I use my license, same with creating a company.. so first I keep my license on and created the company and load my test.fdb file. Then I switch licenses and try to select CRONUS and it gives me the message.

Now I have all the misspelled companies listed even though I deleted them. I guess I need to delete my zup file?
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I'm not sure what all this license changing is all about?

Are you saying you have no ability to get to the object designer and either modify a field or add a new one in the customer table with your regular license?

Does any of your customers have a value in the 30 length email field you want to modify?

Create a new field with the length you want and make a quick processing report to copy the values to from the old field to the new field.

onaftergetrecord
    newfield := oldfield;
    customer.modify;

then clear out all the values in the old field, then you'll be able to make the size change. but not if the field still has data.
    Also note: if you use eship there is a table #14000908 E-Mail List Entry

where you can store tons of email addresses per customer
    I got the license / Cronus to work. It was the order I did things that made it work. I imported what I need to change into the test database, but sadly I can't seem to change what I need.

We do not use eship, Savatage.

On the customer card there is a field for email. If I go to View -> Field Menu it says "text80".

Yet on the Contacts tab of the Customer Card there's room for 5 more email addresses. If I go to View -> Field Menu it says "text30". 30 characters is not enough to fit some emails.

All of those email fields if I right click to view properties has Max Length of 2048 set, but it's that field that's limiting me.
    I'm an idiot. I solved the problem. Sorry for all the trouble.

I was trying to edit the field from 21 Customer Card, when I should have been doing it from 18 Customer.
    Fine, problem solved, topic closed.

Let's see what happens next time if it's not table 18. :mrgreen:
    I knew it was something different. I know from you previous posts that were able to add & modify fields before.