Options

Accessing Navision 4.0 through internet

Dr_mjhDr_mjh Member Posts: 203
Hi there:

As a client wants his users to access Navision 4.0 through the internet, so would anyone please tell me how can we do that?

Comments

• Options
    WiechardtWiechardt Member Posts: 25
    Your client has two options and it depends on the functionality that the users require on which option they will opt for:

1. The first option is to make use of Terminal Server/Citrix connections where your client has a central server and users connect to the server using Terminal Services/Citrix. Users will execute the Navision client on the server itself and all Navision functionality will be available to such users, since it is in fact a Navision client that the users runs - depending on the Menu Structure and security of course.
    2. The second option is to go for User Portal. User Portal is a Web Based interface with a limited set of functionality, such as order capturing and posting, customer and item management and some production functionality. Only a limited number of reports are available by default. This is a truly web based interface running on Windows IIS, but should your client require functionality over and above what is available standard, be careful and make sure you understand XML, Dataports and Digital Dashboard web parts.

Have fun!
    Wiechardt
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    User Portal is not used anymore for 4.0. They're coming out with a sharepoint solution. I haven't seen it myself yet, but I think that is supposed to replace UP.
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Take a look at Jetro:
    http://www.jp-inc.com/cockpitone/

As good as (may be even better then) citrix, but much cheaper ...

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    DenSter wrote:
    User Portal is not used anymore for 4.0. They're coming out with a sharepoint solution. I haven't seen it myself yet, but I think that is supposed to replace UP.

It is named Employee portal, and it is connection between Sharepoint portal and Navision. You can define forms and lists directly in Navision, and than use this predefined components on your SharePoint portal... I read only documentation for this, because we have no SharePoint now, I am not able to test it. But this is only for Navision 4.00 SP1... (not yet released, wait one month...)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.