Slow - Server or NAV

ajayjainajayjain Member Posts: 119
edited 2013-03-13 in SQL Performance
Hi,

This is quite common Navision gets blame if it is slow.
I have identified many times the whole system is slow, even if you do something outside NAV.

Is there any tool which communicate with server and check if server reply is slow like Ping
also how can i check what is running on server in the background other than task list and services

Thanks
Ajay
Ajay Jain
UK

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Step one is to define "slow".
    David Singleton
  • ajayjainajayjain Member Posts: 119
    NAV works fine for a week
    and suddenly hanging and getting locking issues for more than 30 people
    every process taking minutes which used to take seconds
    we are version 4.03 sql with 250 users

Thanks
    Ajay Jain
    UK
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    You really need to define it. What is slow? How long did it take before how long now? You need to define exactly what is slow, saying "Navision is slow" really means nothing. Like saying "it takes me ages to get to work where last week it was really fast". Do you drive to work or catch a bus or metro or rid a bike? Are there road works. Is the metro closed and you had to take a bus? Did your bike break and now you are walking. Did your kids just start school and are you now having to drive to the other side of town to take them before going to work. Did your alarm clock break and you are getting out of bed late. Did you change jobs and now where you used to bike you now need to drive across town.
    David Singleton
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Have you tried resource manager and perfmon?
    Have you tried running a SQL Profiler trace for long running queries?
    Are you running users through a terminal server that is experiencing memory constraints? That will kill performance for sure is use NAV sessions are swapping.
    Any new PCs introduced - check their performance.

How long has your system been running? If not for long, then configuration problems can start causing problems when the database has grown.