Options

Two SQL versions installed - How to manage?

poppinspoppins Member Posts: 647
edited 2012-12-07 in SQL General
Hi everyone,

I started working with NAV 2009 R2, having SQL Server 2005 SP3 installed...
Today, I installed SQL Server 2008 R2.

I wanted to ask how can I , from now on, when I need to restore a backup, select which SQL Server to use???

And what about the existing databases (in SQL Server 2005)??? Shall I simply restore them again in SQL Server 2008???

Answers

• Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    I assume if you have both, that SQL Server 2005 is the default instance and 2008R2 is the 2nd.
    1) databases have a compatibility level that determines which version they are supporting (database properties).
    2) if you want to keep both, then restore your SQL Server 2005 databases to your SQL Server 2005 instance and SQL Server 2008 backups to your SQL Server 2008 instance.

If you want to simplify your life, you could migrate your SQL 2005 databases to your new SQL Server 2008 R2 instance.
  • Options
    davmac1 wrote:
    I assume if you have both, that SQL Server 2005 is the default instance and 2008R2 is the 2nd.
    1) databases have a compatibility level that determines which version they are supporting (database properties).
    2) if you want to keep both, then restore your SQL Server 2005 databases to your SQL Server 2005 instance and SQL Server 2008 backups to your SQL Server 2008 instance.

If you want to simplify your life, you could migrate your SQL 2005 databases to your new SQL Server 2008 R2 instance.

Thank you for your answer, but could you be more clear, please?
    For example, when i want to create a new database in NAV(File -> Database -> New), how can I specify which SQL Server to use???
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Just specify which SQL instance to use. Likely your SQL 2005 is the default instance and therefore uses the same name as the Windows Server. The SQL 2008 is likely a named instance adn would take the form of MYSERVERNAME\MYINSTANCENAME
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    bbrown wrote:
    Just specify which SQL instance to use. Likely your SQL 2005 is the default instance and therefore uses the same name as the Windows Server. The SQL 2008 is likely a named instance adn would take the form of MYSERVERNAME\MYINSTANCENAME

Thanks a lot :)