Does Nav 3.10 need Virtual Machine on Win 7 machine?

yuppicideyuppicide Member Posts: 410
edited 2012-11-26 in Navision Attain
First off, haven't been here in awhile. Hope everyone is well and had a good holiday.

Should Navision 3.10 need Virtual Machine to run on Windows 7?

I am just wondering because we had a computer die. Our computers were all on Windows XP Pro, but we have three computers now that run Windows 7.

Navision is installed on an old server of it's own (Windows 2000 maybe) and we all login (and store our files) through another machine running Windows 2003 SBS.

We need the lady who's computer died to be able to use another machine, but the only thing we have is a Windows 7 machine available. We had problems earlier with another computer, so we logged into through a Windows 7 machine.. our network consultant set it up as a Virtual Machine, but it won't let us login. We tried with the person's username/login. If there was a default user and/or pass he forgot what it was at the moment. He has to go back through his notes.

I'm just wondering was it necessary to set it up as a Virtual Machine? I'm only asking because I upgraded to Windows 7 Pro at home and nothing I use so far requires me to use this Virtual Machine. Seems like a hassle.. using Virtual Machine it takes forever to start up Navision, takes forever to shut down too.. because it's got to close or hibernate Virtual Machine.. whatever it does..

Comments

• Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    NAV versions lower then 4.0 SP 3 cannot be installed on Windows Vista or higher. So yes, you'll need some virtual machine in order to execute NAV 3.10.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • yuppicideyuppicide Member Posts: 410
    Thank you very much. Just wanted to make sure he's not just making it complicated on purpose so we have to call him.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Have you tried to connect using Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) to the server and run it like that?