Options

Opening Stock

MrDMrD Member Posts: 12
Hi,

I need advice on how to enter opening stock quantities at go live date without creating G/L transactions.

Thanks

Draggan

Comments

• Options
    KowaKowa Member Posts: 918
    Only if "Automatic Cost Posting" in the "Inventory Setup" is ticked there are G/L entries directly created for every postive (or Negative) adjustment item ledger entry ( from the amounts of the corresponding value entries). If if isn't ticked, Report 1002 "Post Inventory Cost to G/L" will produce these too, but can be started manually later ( usually once a month).
    Kai Kowalewski
  • Options
    john_bellingerjohn_bellinger Member Posts: 34
    Hi,

I think the g/l transactions are unavoidable - unless you bring in everything at zero cost. Historically, I've handled two ways:

Option 1 - Post opening items and then have end user make a reversing entry to clear the resulting entry. Of course this assumes you will eventually put in opening g/l balances which will account for your inventory book value.

Option 2 - Setup posting groups so that Dr/Cr's resulting from Posting of opening items hits the same account. Thus eliminating any net change to the g/l.

I've historically used Option 1 more often.
    John Bellinger
    ERP Manager
    Activar, Inc.
  • Options
    nishandesainishandesai Member Posts: 23
    HI,

The same problem we were facing recently, what we did was, temporarily create a intrim account.
    after that make a g/l transaction for the item u want opening balance and the intrim account,
    after the transaction is finished, go into g/l entry table and delete the line for the intrim account. after that u can delete the intrim account from chart off accounts if u wish. U will have only one entry for the Opening balance for the particualr item and the opening balance will be created.

Regards
    Nishan