Options

Change Database on server

trintrin Member Posts: 110
Hi,

Does anyone know how to change the database that the Navision server is using? I tried new startup parameters, but can't get it to work. I do not want to re-install the server.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    csimoneauxcsimoneaux Member Posts: 168
    Have you tryed...File Database Open?
  • Options
    Hi,

We want to change the database which Navision server was pointed to.

thanks
    Trin
  • Options
    ajhvdbajhvdb Member Posts: 672
    edited 2005-08-09
    From version 3.xx there is the mmc snapin "Navision database manager". You can also search in the register for the parameters.
  • Options
    I can send you the PDF file that will help, but I see your profile is not complete. Do you have and email address?
  • Options
    If you are running Application Server, setup to run as service, you ca use the Microsoft Management Console to change its properties(Snap-in)
  • Options
    To set them as automatic program properties:
    1 Open Windows Explorer.
    2 Open the folder Documents and Settings, All Users, Start Menu, Programs,
    Navision.
    3 Open the Navision folder and select the program icon. Notice that there are two
    identical icons. You must select the Microsoft SQL Server Option for Navision icon.
    On Windows XP and Windows 2000, you must delete the existing shortcut and
    create a new one in order to gain access to the Target field. Note also that by
    copying the shortcut to the user specific folders, you can tailor the program
    properties to the individual user.
    4 After you have created the new shortcut, select it and click File, Properties. The
    Properties window appears.
    5 Click the Shortcut tab:
    The Target field shows where Navision is located. It contains the path for the start
    command finsql.exe. After the start command, you can add other commands and
    settings for program properties. Here is an example:
    servername=My Server, database=My Database, ntauthentication=yes,
    company=CRONUS International Ltd.
    When you set the program properties servername, database, company and
    ntauthentication in this way, the program perform certain tasks the next time it is
    opened. It will use Windows authentication to connect to the server My Server, open
    the database My Database if it exists on the server and open the company CRONUS
    International Ltd., if it exists in the database. If you don’t enter the company parameter,
    you will have to open the company manually after the program starts.
    You can also use the Net Type program property to set the network protocol, if a value
    other than the last value used is required, for example, nettype=Named Pipes.
    If you need to change any of the selections while you are working, you can do this
    from within the program. For example, you can select a different database (one that
    has already been created) or a different company, or you can create a new company.
    If you do not want a client to be able to do these things, you can set limits when you
    assign user permissions (by setting limits on the “system” object type).
  • Options
    Hi csimoneaux and ajhvdb:

Thank you so much for all your help. I really appreciate!! We did set up the parameter to point to another database which should work but it did not. The registry worked.

Thanks again.
    Trin