Options

Navison Schedule Backup

nasheernasheer Member Posts: 78
I would like to check with you some information regarding the schedule backup feature for Navision Attain 360. Currently we are running the daily backup using the tools under the File Menu> Tools> Backup for our Navision database on manual way. As far I know, the MS SQL has the feature of scheduling backup but the size of the backup file bigger than the file size of "navision backup.fbk". Is there any other ways to run the backup?

Comments

• Options
    ArhontisArhontis Member Posts: 667
    Hi,

If you run on sql server there aren't any other options, it is manually from the application or scheduled or manually from the sql server.

I usually perform a scheduled backup, keep a weeks files and after each backup I zip the files in one file and copy that zip file to a couple other servers on the network.

The backup and the transaction file of each days backup are together about about 3 GB and the zip file of all of these come up to 2.8 GB (~85%) compression ration.

The "zipping" is performed with a cmd file and scheduled with the WinAt application to run 30 minutes after the backup is done.
  • Options
    dmitripdmitrip Member Posts: 44
    We use the following backup schema for Navision SQL Server option.

1.Full database backup – every night (remove file older than 1 week).
    2.Transaction log backup – every 3 hour, from 9 a.m. till 9 p.m.

All backups are setup on SQL Server and perform automatically.

It works well for us.

Dmitri.
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    The SQL-backup is probably also faster than the Navision backup, but the Navision backup also tests the DB. This the SQL-backup does not do. So sometimes (at least once a week), you should restore the SQL-backup on another SQL-server, and do a Navision backup to check for errors in the DB.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    dmitripdmitrip Member Posts: 44
    edited 2005-08-09
    We perform database check using Database -> Test.
    The restoring of Navision backup on SQL Server is really slower than SQL backup (especially restoring of keys, for instance payroll module).

Dmitri.
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    We perform database check using Database -> Test.

Good enough to test the DB. :)
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    PaddyMullaneyPaddyMullaney Member Posts: 59
    In standard Navision, a company called ExpandIt sell something that will do this and zip it. You can find them on the web.
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    In standard Navision, a company called ExpandIt sell something that will do this and zip it. You can find them on the web.

http://www.expandit.com/products/default_utilities.htm