Options

Terminal Services With Navision Please Help

thtzanosthtzanos Member Posts: 4
We currently use Navision 3.70 in our company and have 3 shops which are connected with the central server each through a seperate 128Kb lease line. We were informed by our developer that we MUST use Terminal services in order to communicate because it is the only way with Navision.

Due to the extremely low response times that we face (about 3 minutes to print an invoice) we are wondering if TS is really necessary or if there is an other way that our shops could communicate with the central server (IBM P4 2.4 with 1Gb ram).

As you must have understood I am not an IT person so I am just looking for a pointer in order to inform our developer to act accordingly.

Do you think that if we changed the lease lines with a VPN network we could avoid using TS?

I thank you in advance for your time.

Comments

• Options
    ajhvdbajhvdb Member Posts: 672
    A faster line is the easiest but printing can be speeded up with a different print solution for Citrix or TS. Don't know the name but do a search in google.
  • Options
    Thank you very much for your answer. Concerning increasing the speed of the lease line, Microsoft has informed us that the curent bandwith is more thn enough.

The reason I am asking is because we believe that using the terminal services for connecting the distant users to the central server creates a bottleneck to our operation. Therefore I would like to know if TS is a must in our case or if there is an alternative solution that we could use (eg client).

Thanks again.
  • Options
    MatthiasBrahmMatthiasBrahm Member Posts: 5
    We use Terminal Services (RDP protocol) and Citrix (ICA procotol) for our costumers who work in decentral shops. In our experience 1-5 User can work without problem on an 64KB-Line.

Terminal Services are necessary for easy configuration and printing, Citrix is used, if our customers need serial componentes for their POS like serial Printers or Casddrawers oder Line Displays.
    You can also just use the client and access the Server direct per TCp/IP but RDP is more reliable and the screenoutputs are packed better so your
    traffic on the line is smaller and more user can more at one time.

Your Problem seems to be that printing takes a lot of time (3 minutes for 1 invoice).

How do you access your printer? We print with TCP-Printing.
    It works just fine for us.

How many User work on one line? How many user print an invoice at one time?How big do your printjobs get?
    you can see that in your printer queue.
    If your printjobs are bigger than 1 MB the printing time would be normal because it has all to be transferred thru the 128KB-Line while others ars working.

Does your line work properly? you can send "ping ipadress-of-an-workstation-or-server-on-the-other-side-of-the-line" (i.e. "ping 172.10.250.3" than you get the time in milliseconds it need to cross the line. if the time is high i.e. 900 ms or more your line has an problem.
  • Options
    Stefan_VerweyStefan_Verwey Member Posts: 18
    Hi,

I had the same problem previously at a client in Zambia. Although they used all the best software TS & Citrix had the previous consultant not set the Navision Server's Service Cache setting any better than the default 8MB. I had increased the Cache setting on the server from 8MB to about 640MB and the printing wait time came down from 15 min to 2 sec.

Also refer to the Installation & System Management Manual optimizing CACHE settings.

Regards, Stefan
  • Options
    Thank you all very much for the information.
    I will transfer your answers to our consultant in order to see if we can solve the problem. One final question. The size of our database has reached 4.3Gb and is increasing about 700Mb per month. The initial size (1 April 05 was launching date) was about 1.5Gb and we are a company of 52 persons (30 users) with 11000 items and about 2500 customers. Is it normal?

Thanks again for your time.