Options

Department

kampretkampret Member Posts: 38
Guys, I have the following design problem:

I want to separate each of the user by department, so that everytime they login, they can only see and enter information for their own department. How can you implement this in Navision?

I have been thinking of using company as a department, but is it hard when it comes to consolidate the G/L??

Comments

• Options
    HalMdyHalMdy Member Posts: 429
    We have done such kind of think for a customer. Each user is attached to the Department (Dim 1) and then we filter all the informations with the user's departement. We store the current departement in a global variable, in the CU 1 (put in single instance). We give also the opportunity for some users to switch between selected departments.

We have to do a lot of custo for that, it was a hard and time-consumming job...

Good luck !
  • Options
    nelsonnelson Member Posts: 107
    Have you looked at Responsibility Centers?
    Nelson Alberto
  • Options
    Halmdy, when you did that, what were the changes that you made?
    Do u have to change all tables, adding department field to each table?

What are the limitations when you use more than 1 company? are all data between companies can be shared as freely as we use 1 company only?
  • Options
    rsfairbanksrsfairbanks Member Posts: 107
    Having seen this sort of setup, there is a lot of coding involved (usually the same code, but in numerous places). In addition, you may have problems if trying to split the balance sheet (debtors and creditors etc) especially if you get problems with the filtering for allocations.

It is very hard to make sure you have the coding in all the places needed.

I would recommend using companies, the consolidation is only a problem in set up, and becomes even better when intercompany is allowed. Upgrades and maintence will also be helped.

That of course is my opinion.
  • Options
    thanks, I also think that would be the most suitable solution.

btw, anyone has developed navision for Leasing??
  • Options
    nelsonnelson Member Posts: 107
    2nd attempt:
    Have you tried looking at what Responsibility Centers do and how they work?
    Do that before you do anything else.
    Nelson Alberto
  • Options
    Denis_PetrovDenis_Petrov Member Posts: 107
    My understanding is that this task could be easily achived in Navision 4.0 with it's new functionalities.
    Best regards,

Denis Petrov.