Options

NAV 2009 RTC R2 Error 25: Connection String (SQL Server)

harveyharvey Member Posts: 7
edited 2012-05-07 in NAV Three Tier
Hello All,

This is my first attempt to install a three tier NAV 2009 RTC and I have hit a wall.

I receive the error " The Microsoft Dynamics Server cannot connect the change listener to the SQL server because of the following error: The server was not found or not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and the SQL server allows remote connections....error : 25)/

Here are my setup details:

1. Setup: VM ware (Windows Server 2008, SQL Enterprise 2008 Ent.)
2. NAV 2009 install sequence (1-SQL Server, 2- App Server & Database Sever, 3 - Classic, 4- RTC Server 5- RTC Client)
3. SQL Server is running using a service AD user/service (SQLSERVER). TCP Enabled, 1433 incoming allowed for SQL traffic, Windows firewall rule created/enabled
4. NAV SQL extended stored procedures enabled.
5. Classic Client working
6. NAVSERVICE user/service created. Added to Domain Admin group, object listener queries executed for this user in SQL and schema attachments completed. Also added to SQL admin group.
7. DynamicsNAV service started using NAVSERVICE USER sucessfuly.
8. NAVSERVICE USER added to classic client and setup as superuser.
9. Config file modified in the following areas:
9a.) C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\ClientUserSettings.config
9b.) C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\ClientUserSettings.config

Here is the config file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<configuration>
<appSettings>
<add key="Server" value="<Server Name>"></add>
<add key="ServerInstance" value="DynamicsNAV"></add>
<add key="ServerPort" value="7046"></add>
<add key="DatabaseServer" value="<Server Name>"/>
<add key="DatabaseInstance" value="MSSQLSERVER"/>
<add key="DatabaseName" value="Demo Database NAV (6-0)"/>
<add key="ProtectionLevel" value="EncryptAndSign"></add>
<add key="UrlHistory" value=""></add>
<add key="CompressionThreshold" value="64"></add>
<add key="ChunkSize" value="28"></add>
<add key="AllowNtlm" value="true"></add>
<add key="ServicePrincipalNameRequired" value="False"></add>
<add key="OpenConnectionTimeout" value="00:00:30"></add>
<add key="ClientCredentialType" value="Windows"></add>
<add key="DnsIdentity" value=""></add>
</appSettings>
</configuration>

After all the steps above, the classic client is working as usual. But I am still unable to start the RTC client.

Can anyone tell me if I missed something? I am unable to start the RTC client.

Comments

• Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Are the values correct for Server and DatabaseServer?
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    Yes, its the same value for both. I replaced it with the IP address and tried again but it still didn't work?

I am not sure what did I miss.
  • Options
    I did find out that the user administrator was not syncing into the user list for the Demo Database.

I created a new user who is exactly like the user administrator with the exact same permissions (domain and sql admin) and added the user to the following:
    1. AD user (domain admin)
    2. sql server (sysadmin)
    2. database user list (dbowner & public)
    3. nav classic user list as a super user

I am still getting the same error even with the new user

Error:25 Connection String is not valid error. I also tried replacing the server and database server name with FQDN "WIN-68IR3VGC2PC.demert.com", but it didn't work.

Suggestions are welcome
  • Options
    ariukaariuka Member Posts: 19
    Try with the Best Practices Analyzer for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 tool.. it will help you to define what is happening with your 3 tier configuration.
  • Options
    Thanks, I did try that and got the following results:

1. Could not connect to the SQL server
    Could not connect to 'Demo Database NAV (6-0)' database on database server 'WIN-68IR3VGC2PC\MSSQLSERVER'. Verify that this database server is running and that you have network access to the database. Check the firewall on the database server.

" I am confused on this one. I can open the SQL Server management studio and log into the server with ease by typing WIN-68IR3VGC2PC. TCP/IP is enabled and windows firewall allows 1433 and I have turned it off for this test. However in the management studio if I type WIN-68IR3VGC2PC\MSSQLSERVER, I get and error 87."

2. Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Server has not been installed
    Use Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1 Setup to install Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server.

" Not sure how this is coming up since the setup shows that nav server is installed"

3. Service account is not a database user
    Could not find the user account 'DEMERT\navserver' on the database 'Demo Database NAV (6-0)'. Verify that the service account has been added as a database user.

" I have setup this as a database user, it will go away once it finds and logs into the SQL server"
  • Options
    Removed the following line from the line from the server config file, since mine is a default instance

<add key="DatabaseInstance" value="MSSQLSERVER"/>

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Service\CustomSettings.config

Error 1 and 3 are gone from the Best practices analyzer

Error 2 still remains:

2. Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Server has not been installed
    Use Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1 Setup to install Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server.

Closer on resolving this now.. any suggestions would be helpful.
  • Options
    Thought I'd come back and post the final solutions, I am not sure what I did but after my last post and after a few restarts the RTC client was able to connect and restart

P.S. Always make sure that object listener is enabled.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd301254.aspx