Options

Please Help- Noobie attempting web services with C/Side DB

Mike237548Mike237548 Member Posts: 8
edited 2012-05-03 in NAV Three Tier
Hello mibuso forum!

I am not a microsoft partner... i am the CIO at a small textile company which uses Navision 4. We are currently in the midst of upgrading to NAV 2009 classic client through our Microsoft Certified partner. While upgrading, i found out about Nav2009's web services and i attempted to set it up with help from our certified partner. In doing so i ran into some issues and i hope someone on here can give me some advice or really any clue on how to fix it because i am SURE that our certified partner DOESNT HAVE A CLUE.

My first question is: Does web services work on NAV2009 classic using c/side database?

The problem i run into is: I have started/restarted web services and published a few services to get me started. But when i go to http://ip-address:7047/DynamicsNAV/WS/Services and login, i get the following error:

"<s:Envelope><s:Body><s:Fault><faultcode>a:Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Types.Exceptions.NavNCLChangeListenerConnectionFailedException</faultcode><faultstring xml:lang="en-US">The Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server cannot connect the Change Listener to SQL Server because of the following error: Cannot open database "E:\NAV\Database\Company.fdb" requested by the login. The login failed.
Login failed for user 'COMPANY\Administrator'.</faultstring><detail><string>The Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server cannot connect the Change Listener to SQL Server because of the following error: Cannot open database "E:\NAV\Database\Company.fdb" requested by the login. The login failed.
Login failed for user 'COMPANY\Administrator'.</string></detail></s:Fault></s:Body></s:Envelope>"

Any suggestions? We dont use SQL here... yet it says it cannot connect to the SQL database. Can this be done with C/Side?

Comments

• Options
    AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,496
    [Topic moved from 'NAV/Navision Classic Client' to 'NAV Three Tier' forum]
  • Options
    i forgot to mention we are using R2... nav2009 R2 classic client with c/side database.
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Mike237548 wrote:
    My first question is: Does web services work on NAV2009 classic using c/side database?
    No.
    Mike237548 wrote:
    Any suggestions? We dont use SQL here... yet it says it cannot connect to the SQL database. Can this be done with C/Side?
    No.

Sorry.

At the time that the middle tier as introduced

Microsoft knew that eventually C/SIDE (native) database would be retired, so they made the logical decision to not extend its use in anything new.

You need either to move to SQL or to manually implement web services using NAS.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    David,

Thank you so much for your assistance!

If we switch to SQL or use NAS... would we have to switch to the Role Tailored Client as well or could we stay with the classic client?
  • Options
    Mike237548 wrote:
    David,

Thank you so much for your assistance!

If we switch to SQL or use NAS... would we have to switch to the Role Tailored Client as well or could we stay with the classic client?

First of all I would NOT recommend going the NAS route, it can be done, its quite a bit of work, but in the long run you would be going down a dead end with no future prospects. BUT if you can not move to SQL then it really is your only decent option.

If you go to SQL, then the users can stay on Classic, and you can run the middle tier just for Web Services.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    David,

Your the best! Thank you so much!

Admin: please mark as closed
  • Options
    TonyHTonyH Member Posts: 223
    If you went to the SQL version why not install and run the NST for the web services component only, but continue to use the Classic for familiarity?

Knowing that eventually you would need to take the plunge and go full RTC from the next version on anyways?
  • Options
    TonyH wrote:
    If you went to the SQL version why not install and run the NST for the web services component only, but continue to use the Classic for familiarity?

Knowing that eventually you would need to take the plunge and go full RTC from the next version on anyways?

Isn't that what I just said 8)
    If you go to SQL, then the users can stay on Classic, and you can run the middle tier just for Web Services.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    TonyHTonyH Member Posts: 223
    My bad, I was speed reading only half caffeinated... I get frustrated when that happens to me so I do whole heatedly apologize David.

:oops:
  • Options
    :mrgreen: it happens to all of us. The only reason I asked was in case my initial post was not clear, and maybe was interpreted as something else.
    David Singleton