Options

Truncate/Shrink logfile while restoring fbk?

Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
edited 2012-04-10 in SQL General
Excuse my ignorance, but is there a command available to truncate/shrink the logfile during a restore of a NAV backup? I'm restoring a customers backup (database is several 100 GB's) on an external 500GB disk. The database was created with the Simple recovery model, but this does not have an effect on the log when restoring a db. How can I truncate this log, so the restore can continue without running out of diskspace?
No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)

Answers

• Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    The short answer is you can't. Since the data restore portion is a single transaction, you must have log space to support it. You could create additional log files elsewhere then remove them after the backup.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    ndbcsndbcs Member Posts: 31
    If you have multiple companies, only restore one at a time.
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Luc,

What I always do is first import objects and common data. Then go to all the big tables and deactivate the MaintainSQLIndex and MaintainSIFT.

Then import the company One at a time as mentioned above)

Then when complete import the table objects one by one to recreate the keys.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    What I always do is first import objects and common data. Then go to all the big tables and deactivate the MaintainSQLIndex and MaintainSIFT.
    Thx for this procedure. I'm doing it this way now.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    :thumbsup:
    David Singleton