Options

Navision Architecture -- 2-Tier? N-Tier?

atreatre Member Posts: 39
Can we say that Navision is a N-Tier solution since we have a "Application Server (NAS)"?

And genenally, what will be the most popular configuration for Navision installation -- Client/ server or single-User installation?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    If you use NAS, you can say that it is 3-tier application.

In most cases there is Client/Server installation (customers). Sometime there is many single-users database (NSC, develop enviroment)... :-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I don't agree with that, since no client is going to connect to Navision through the NAS, but everybody in the Navision world is saying it is a 3 tier architecture, so I guess you'd get away with it simply because everybody says it.
  • Options
    mestremestre Member Posts: 24
    For me only with the SQL option we start to have a client / server application.

with standart DB we have a file application.
    Cumps,
    Mestre
  • Options
    mestre wrote:
    For me only with the SQL option we start to have a client / server application.

with standart DB we have a file application.

I don't agree... you forget that Navision Server is normal DB server... it is same level as MS SQL... you never read the database file directly. There is still DBMS in background...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    mestremestre Member Posts: 24
    Yes, but the application still works like a file application.
    Cumps,
    Mestre
  • Options
    What is it "file application"? Please, define...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    GoMaDGoMaD Member Posts: 313
    The thing is that the NAS executes a fixed batch of C/AL coding which is triggered by an event.

If you look at it this way the NAS solution does not qualify as an 3-tier application.

(It's just sales lingo) :-s #-o

Regards
    Now, let's see what we can see.
    Everybody on-line.
    Looking good!
  • Options
    I think, that to say if it is 3-tier or not, we must look at definition of 3-tier application.

Definition from whatis.com:
    A 3-tier application is an application program that is organized into three major parts, each of which is distributed to a different place or places in a network. The three parts are:

* The workstation or presentation interface
    * The business logic
    * The database and programming related to managing it

Standard Navision: Presentation interface and business logic are in client = 2-tier application

NAS used with another application:
    Presentation interface is some web page or other 3rd party product, business logic is Application server with C/AL code, database is MS SQL or Native DB = 3-tier application... :-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Theoretically i can agree with you, but when you look at the whole 2-tier N-tier discussion it always comes down to the following:

Is an application capable of scaling from a 2-tier to a N-tier application and then the answer is NO because of the fact that the NAS can olny execute a fixed batch of C/AL code and not the total business logic that is in the DB.

:-k
    Everybody on-line.
    Looking good!
  • Options
    It depend on the functionality of the NAS. You can create such a functionality, that will be able to run everything in C/AL code (can call all triggers on tables, run codeunits etc.) - not fully as Client but enough to mark it as business logic... :-)

Conclusion:

Navision is only partly 3-tier application (it is 2-tier application with part able to work as 3-tier).

Do you agree? :-k
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    the concensus is reached !!

\:D/ =D>

i can find myself in this conclusion :)
    Everybody on-line.
    Looking good!
  • Options
    csearlecsearle Member Posts: 14
    The training docs for the installation and configuration test say the following:

Navision is a 2 tier architecture - Client / Server
    NAS is a Middle Tier server supporting an N-Tier Architecture