Options

RTC Departments main window text rendering problem

davorpdavorp Member Posts: 17
edited 2012-03-16 in NAV Three Tier
There appears to be a text rendering problem in RTC when showing main window for Departments, containing categories and links to list places, task pages, reports and so on.
The problem only started to appear recently on several computers, one or two at the client site and on one of our own. Can't really find what might be causing it or what those machines might have in common. OS is Windows 7, and this is happening even with the latest R2 build 33078.
At one time upgrading to build 33078 did seem to eliminate the problem, but now it's happening again.
Restarting computer doesn't help.

Since not only are parts of screen not being rendered, but you can't even click to open them, this does cause a serious problem for users.

Please see attached image.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Comments

• Options
    deV.chdeV.ch Member Posts: 543
    I posted about that some time ago (http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=50726), the problem is fixed with one of the latest hotfixes (don't remember the exact one unfortunatly). But they require DB converting. If you don't want or can for some reason convert the db's then you can just copy the Microsoft.Dynamics.Framework.UI DLL's (all that starts with that namespace) from a new hotfix to your client folder.
    This is NOT recomended but it was a workaround that is working on a friends machine and he's working with it since several months.

Since for you the latest hotfix is not working, i suggest you to try different hotfixes and see if it works. The fact that it worked for you then stopped working seems a bit strange to me. In our case we were able to strictly reproduce the problem ever time opening the department menu...
  • Options
    davorpdavorp Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the info. I did search for this issue but didn't find your post before posting mine.
    Indeed we had seen this first on build 32900, but then upgrading to 33078 fixed it instantly. And now the problem is back - really strange.
  • Options
    henrikmhenrikm Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 66
    This is (was) a known problem however it should be fixed in the latest hotfix build.

The issue is mostly seen on 64 bit Win7 machines. In fact all supported OS'es can experience he issue. This is due to the architecture of WinForms and the stacksize on the OS + *.

*) There are some drivers and other programs which installs hooks into the OS in a special way which can make this issue worse than on other systems.

In our most recent investigations we have only seen issues on some Small Form Factor HP machines where the problem goes away if re-installing a clean Win7 64 bit OS on the box (not installing OEM software).

The issue that we have been facing is described to some extend here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/alejacma/archiv ... h-x64.aspx

Please try out the latest hotfix and if that does not work you can take a look at the software you have on the box. If you have programs running such as Spy++ then the likelyhood of seeing the issue approximately doubles (due to the hook into the OS) - this is the same for some graphics drivers (see previous post from deV.ch).

I would like to know a bit more about your system. Please post or send the message directly to me.

Thanks,
    /henrik
    “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”

Henrik Metzger, Software Development Engineer, Dynamics NAV
    MSFT
  • Options
    deV.chdeV.ch Member Posts: 543
    Is this now fixed? We still (or again) encounter this problem but we are not able to fix it, we tried the newest hotfix build 33261.
    Somehow my fix (as discribed in my post above) stopped working and the affected machine started to having rendering problems again!

So, any news on this? Do i need a special hotfix number to fix this?

Additional info: We encounter this on HP Probook 6560b Notebooks. Even on freshly installed with nothing other then NAV and MS Office, the problem occours
  • Options
    So far it seems like the issue only reproes on OEM versions of Windows.

I'm talking to deV.ch offline. When I understand that situation better and we have some answers I will post the outcome here.

If you are seeing this issue pls. send me a private message with information on your OS and Hardware.

Thank,
    /henrik

MSFT
  • Options
    We have been through a number of cases with the Rendering issues and as pointed out the core issue comes from the way WinForms handles layout. Read more here.

Generally speaking the problem occurs most often on 64 bit OEM versions of Windows (7).

Besides from installing our latest hotfix (or doing the manual update of the "*UI.*" files in the client installation folder) a number of products and drivers are know to cause the issue especially on OEM versions of Windows as mentioned above.

I will figure out a good way to get this list published however from my experience and from the input I have received from deV.ch a number of programs and drivers installed on OEM machines seem to trigger this behavior. Prior to naming any software specifically I need to verify how to do so. If you have software that you believe is causing this I think that it is ok to share that information here.

If you have specific questions pls. send me a private message.

Thanks,
    /henrik

MSFT