Service Tier Administration Tool v3.4.0

AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,495
edited 2022-09-29 in Download section
Service Tier Administration Tool
A free Service Tier Administration Tool.
All functionalities are working on LOCAL and REMOTE machines when you have the administration rights to that machine.
Installing, Uninstalling, Start, Stop, Restart and dynamic change of settings like Portsharing, Account, start mode and settings in the CustomSettings.config of the Service Tier.

The version informations of the different Services Tiers are listed.

Direct connect with a configured Role Tailored Client to a selected Service Tier.

Auto update functionality integrated when a newer version will be available.

https://mibuso.com/downloads/service-tier-administration-tool

Discuss this download here.

Comments

• wj_mmwj_mm Member Posts: 23
    I think this is a great tool, thanks to the programmer. =D>

If you use different version of RTC Client (SP1/R2) you can only set one RTC-Path.
    A update what save the RTC Client to the different service tier whould be great.
  • clienauclienau Member Posts: 57
    Hello !

Thanks for your feedback. I have implement your suggestion in the current version. The release will be available today.
    Download the current version with the update functionality at the startup of the tool.

Greetz

Christian
  • wj_mmwj_mm Member Posts: 23
    Hello Christian,

this was a very quick response and the solution is better than i think.
    To take the right RTC by checking the version is a very good solution.
    Many thanks to you.

\:D/ =D>
    Regards
    Jürgen
  • daborgdaborg Member Posts: 54
    Awesome tool!! Great work.

If I can make a suggestion, could you add the ability to set the service tier time zone? that'd help when need to test based on different zones. Thanks.
  • AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,495
    Service Tier Administration Tool v1.3.0
    All functionalities are working on LOCAL and REMOTE machines when you have the administration rights to that machine.
    Installing, Uninstalling, Start, Stop, Restart and dynamic change of settings like Portsharing, Account, start mode and settings in the CustomSettings.config of the Service Tier.

Direct connect with a configured Role Tailored Client to a selected Service Tier.

Version 1.3.0. (2011-11-24):
    - Default Company for RTC connection can be configured.
    - More settings available.
    - Update routines don't crash anymore when the connection to a server is lost.
    - Tooltip integrated for settings on label and textbox.

http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=1410

• ThiGiThiGi Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I get an overflow when trying to create a new service:

************** Exception Text **************
    System.IO.PathTooLongException: The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.
    at System.IO.PathHelper.GetFullPathName()
    at System.IO.Path.NormalizePath(String path, Boolean fullCheck, Int32 maxPathLength)
    at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
    at System.IO.FileInfo.CopyTo(String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
    at tegos_do.ServiceTierAdministration.ServiceTierAdministrationForm.e0jIH1Q8XqthlHGYqux(Object , Object , Boolean )
    at tegos_do.ServiceTierAdministration.ServiceTierAdministrationForm.eLe5rXaMP(DirectoryInfo , DirectoryInfo )
    at tegos_do.ServiceTierAdministration.ServiceTierAdministrationForm.eLe5rXaMP
    [/size]
    Service Tier Administration Tool v1.4.0

Version 1.4.0. (2012-01-16):
    - Save button removed. Autosave configuration settings.
    - NEW "NST Settings" to configure different NST Versions as base for "Create Service" and "Update Service" function.
    - NEW "Update Service" function. Easy Updating of NST's with the configured NST's in the "NST Settings"

Service Tier Administration Tool v1.4.1

Version 1.4.1 (2012-01-16):
    - Fix crash after use the "Create Service" or "Update Service" function without configured the NST Settings.

- NEW "NST Settings" to configure different NST Versions as base for "Create Service" and "Update Service" function.
    - NEW "Update Service" function. Easy Updating of NST's with the configured NST's in the "NST Settings"

• Jean-CharlesJean-Charles Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I want used this program v1.4.1 but I can't created a new Service. When I click on Create Service, i have a message "No NST configured in the NST Settings.", can you help me on the procedure for use this program. Do you have an help for all button in the program ?

Thanks lot for your help.
    Hello,

you must configure the location of NST Base Versions under the "NST Settings".
    You can add different Version Folders to the NST Settings.
    This folders will be used for the "Create Service" and "Update Service" functionality.

Under the "NST Settings" you must choose the "Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Server.exe" file from an existing Server (NST) Installation.

I have make a folder "Service Tiers" on my system where i have add the different NST Build Versions.
    Then i have add all versions to the NST Settings in the ServiceTierAdministration Tool.

The same is for the "RTC Settings".

Here must be choose the "Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe" file of the RTC installation folder.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards

Christian
  • Jean-CharlesJean-Charles Member Posts: 2
    This is perfect it works, thank you very much. Can you tell me more about the usefulness of the RTC settings, I understand that the NST setting is used to create or modify services. But I do not see the usefulness of the RTC settings?

Again thank you !

Regards,

J.
  • paurolapaurola Member Posts: 43
    Great tool, thanks!

I am missing the good ole "Save"-button, though. When ever you are working with something that you definitely don't want to mess up, I always prefer to be the one that decides when it is time to save changes...

/Pauli
    @ Jean-Charles

With the "RTC Settings" you can configure different RTC Build Versions from your system. You can have different Service Tiers with different Build Version. Then you must have the correct Role Tailored Client Build Version.

The "RTC Settings" is for the "Connect RTC" functionality. If you select a service in the list and then press the "Connect RTC" Button, the Tool checks the "RTC Settings". If there is a Role Tailored Client configured with the right version this client will be used to connect to the NST automatically.

@ paurola

I have removed the Save Button. The settings will be saved automatically when you leave the changed Setting Control.
    That was a "Will have" - Scream in our company ;).

Best Regards
    Service Tier Administration Tool v1.4.2

Version 1.4.2 (2012-02-09):
    - Fix crash in "NST Settings" and "RTC Settings" after double click the column seperator for auto arrange the columns.
    - PortSharing Service will be checked before a NST will be start with Port Sharing enabled.
    - Fix a Bug when the Microsoft Default Services will be remove.
    - Remove the direct import from the CustomSettings.config file. Now the NST Settings will be checked for the correct config file in the AppSettings Section.

- Fix crash after use the "Create Service" or "Update Service" function without configured the NST Settings.

Service Tier Administration Tool v1.4.3

Version 1.4.3 (2012-02-10):
    - Fix config problem with remote machines

- Fix crash in "NST Settings" and "RTC Settings" after double click the column seperator for auto arrange the columns.
    - PortSharing Service will be checked before a NST will be start with Port Sharing enabled.
    - Remove the direct import from the CustomSettings.config file. Now the NST Settings will be checked for the correct config file in the AppSettings Section.

Service Tier Administration Tool v1.5.0

Version 1.5.0 (2012-02-23):
    - Fix problem with service state.
    - Update of service states improved.

• JMAJMA Member Posts: 10
    In the service list I see only one service out of ten from the specified server. What requirements have to be fulfilled that the tool recognizes a service as NST? I assume that you use the EXE-filename in the service properties for that, but we rename the microsoft.dynamics.nav.server.exe for each service tier for better overview in the process manager and to kill the proper NST if necessary. If my assumption is right, could you provide a setting with a list of EXE-filenames or a string pattern of the filename? Thanks anyway!
  • weidnerweidner Member Posts: 1
    Dear All,

After starting the program the window is blinking (refresh?) and after every refresh the first entry in the list of services is selected....

Can someone help me?

Best regards
    Mario Weidner
    @JMA

Yes the Tool check the filename in the Service list.
    I can implement a string pattern, but that will only show you the services in the list.

Functionalities like Create Service, Update Service use the default filename.
    The most functionalies in this tool use the default filenames of NST and RTC.

Sry, but i have not the time to implement deeply changes at the moment.

@weidner

I think there is little problem in the implementation i make an update today. Give me feedback when it works please.
    Service Tier Administration Tool v1.5.1

Version 1.5.1 (2012-03-05):
    - Fix service list update bug.
    - Update process stops now when an error occurs and shows a Message with the problem.

• RogerRoger Member Posts: 57
    I get an error if I try top stop a service:

The Service MicrosoftDynamicsNavServer cannot open on on the computer localhost

But the choosed service is up and running well, I'm abel to use the RTC on this services

Could you help please?

[Edit]: I forget, the systems runs in a 64bit environment
    Many thanks, Roger
  • RogerRoger Member Posts: 57
    Roger wrote:
    I get an error if I try top stop a service

I found the solutions by myself. It's necessary to run the tool 'as an administrator', for example through the right mouse click
    Many thanks, Roger
  • daborgdaborg Member Posts: 54
    Just found that this tool will not run in the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. :P

Tried all compatibility settings and tried running as admin. No luck with either.
  • JDVyskaJDVyska Member Posts: 179
    daborg wrote:
    Just found that this tool will not run in the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. :P

Tried all compatibility settings and tried running as admin. No luck with either.

Confirmed. No error, nothing in the Event log, just... no application. I presume it's some sort of .NET issue.

@clienau - let my know if you'd like me to coord with you to try the source in VS11 under win8, see if I can get it rolling in any way.
    JEREMY VYSKA
    CEO, Spare Brained Ideas, Göteborg, Sweden
    New (April 2021) Getting Started with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Book Available: "Your First 20 Hours with Business Central"
    The new version should be worked now under Windows 8.

Beste Regards

Christian
    Service Tier Administration Tool v1.5.2

Version 1.5.2 (2012-04-26):
    - Windows 8 compatible
    - New Setting for "ServicesCultureDefaultUserPersonalization"

Version 1.5.1 (2012-03-05):
    - Fix service list update bug.
    - Update process stops now when an error occurs and shows a Message with the problem.

• julkifli33julkifli33 Member Posts: 1,073
    How to point NST setting?
    thanks
    You can find the answer on the first page.

Beste Regards

Christian
  • JDVyskaJDVyska Member Posts: 179
    Unsurprisingly, STAT doesn't cope very well if NAV 2013 is installed. When starting up the tool with an NAV 2013 default service setup, you get:
    There is a problem with Service: MicrosoftDynamicsNavServer$DynamicsNAV70. Update process stopped.

Reason: The given path's format is not supported.

The list of NST's is then blank. Will gladly provide more info if needed.
    JEREMY VYSKA
    CEO, Spare Brained Ideas, Göteborg, Sweden
    New (April 2021) Getting Started with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Book Available: "Your First 20 Hours with Business Central"
    This Tool is not implemented for NAV 2013 and not supports it.

I think that you doesn't need this Tool anymore with NAV 2013.
    I mean that 2013 manage the NST for itself.
    If you only will start the services you can do this with the services in windows.
    There are very useful presentations to manage and configure the NST's with PowerShell in NAV 2013.

Be aware that you can't use port sharing with 2013. You can't use NST 2013 with earlier NST on the same port.

Kine has made an articel on his Blog for that:
    http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/kine/arch ... fault.aspx

Best Regards

Christian

**EDIT**
    Sorry, now i understand your problem. I will test it as soon i can.