Options

NAV Chm files for Kindle

KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
edited 2011-12-16 in General Chat
Hi all,

I inherited my wifes "old" Kindle after she got herself the new Kindle Fire as a Christmas present from me. :D
Now I want to convert the CHM files to PDF or HTML, since the pdf's are not on the DVD anymore. The old Kindle cannot handle CHM files and I thought to load all the good documents like the C/Side reference guide, application designer guide, Form transformation tool documentation for NAV2009R2 on to the kindle and read these during my Christmas vacation. Now I have tried printing the entire help file to pdf, but it just does not look right.

My question is: is there a good chm-> pdf or Chm-> html converter?

Thanks,

Willy
Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.

Answers

• Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    KYDutchie wrote:
    My question is: is there a good chm-> pdf or Chm-> html converter?

There is a great trick to this somewhere either here on mibuso or on dynamics user (maybe form the mbsonline days). basically you open help in Navision and internally the CHM file is temporarily converted to an HTML file and stored in a TEMP directory somewhere. While the help screen is open you can coy that file and its a pretty readable file.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    i use CALIBRE (opensource) application to store and convert my ebooks. Anyway, I've never checked if it has the option to convert chm->pdf/epub/whatever
    give it a try, it's a cool application!
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies,

Mr. Singleton, I have tried your suggestion and I did find the file that was created in the application data/temp folder. It however was still compiled.

Belias,

I am downloading Calibre right now and I will try that utility.

I wonder why Microsoft doesn't distribute these documents in PDF anymore?
    We used to print them and put them in a binder for reference.

Thanks,

Willy
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.
  • Options
    Belias,

Calibre WORKED! =D>

It does take a while, about 30 minutes to convert the entire CSide.CHM file, but it looks good!

Thanks,

Willy
  • Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    Calibre is freakin' good!
    happy christmas reading :shock:
    I'll spend my holidays working, instead (maybe someone have seen my post count dropping down in this period) :whistle:
    I hope to come back more frequently by the end of january! (go-live fever) :(
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Here's another that I think would be good on your kindle.
    http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=855
  • Options
    Here's another that I think would be good on your kindle.
    http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=855

Trust me, I've used that reference a whole lot since I started with Navision 5 years ago. :)

I think that every new NAV developer should have that reference close and ready at all times!

Thanks!