Options

Application Virtualization with NAV 2009 R2

NicolaiHNicolaiH Member Posts: 23
edited 2011-12-08 in NAV Three Tier
Hello everyone

I have published a NAV 2009 R2 Roletailored Client on my APP-V server, and I am able to run the application from a computer over the internet (different AD domains).

From the NAV RTC I can connect to a local NAV servicetier (running on a server that is in the same domain as the client computer), but I can not connect to a NAV servicetier on a server that is on the same domain as the APP-V server.

Maybe I have misunderstood something, but according to Microsoft's document "Application Virtualization with Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 R2", the client should be able to access data, services etc. both locally and remotely.

"You sequence the application so that it runs in its own self-contained virtual environment on the client computer. These applications can access data, system services, and configurations either locally or remotely."

I have tried running the NAV 2009 R2 Classic client in the same way (APP-V package), and when I try to browse the network I am only able to see my local drives and local network computers. Shouldn't I be able to browse for files on the APP-V server and on the domain of the APP-V server? I have domain admin privileges on both domains.

I know that I can configure the RTC client to connect to a service-tier over the internet using NTLM authentication, but that is not the setup I want.

Do I have to do something special to be able to access remote resources from the RTC client or do I have to enable NTLM authtication on the NAV-service and connect over the internet?

Any help will be appreciated!

Best regards
Nicolai Hansen

Answers

• Options
    I tried asking a similar question on Microsoft's APP-V forum and got this reply from Aaron Parker...

"App-V doesn't change how an application is executed - if the client is running outside of the network, App-V doesn't change how it interacts with the operating system or remote servers. If you want to access internal network shares, you'll need to use a VPN."

Not what I had hoped for, but now I can stop searching.
  • Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    Seems logical to need a VPN, but maybe can you open up ports on the router to start a simplified RDP i.e. App-V.

I read something that you could do this on a Hyper-V server.
  • Options
    My main problem is that the NAV-service tier should be able to access some files which exist only on the client computer. We are hosting NAV for our customers and that works just great using both Citrix and Remote Desktop Services, but in all cases there is no easy way to read/write files on the customers computer when running the roletailored client (because the NAV service-tier cannot access the customers computer without a VPN tunnel).

The best solution I can think of is making a service, that needs to be installed on the customer computer, which automatically transfers all files from a specific local folder to our FTP server.

Thanks for your input :)