Options

How to get right balances per customer/vendor?

BrushanenBrushanen Member Posts: 16
edited 2011-12-05 in NAV Three Tier
When setting up a new database and importing the balances from SIE-files, how shall I do to make each customer / vendor the right balance?
I want to see the customer and vendor ledger entries in NAV.
I would be nice to see the previous years entries in the general ledger as well as in the customer and vendor ledger.

Comments

• Options
    mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,503
    You need to post an entry with Opening balance from journals..which will show only one entry in ledger entries..
    Please contact functional people who has already done ..
  • Options
    So in the knew database, it is not possible to see each invoice for instance in the balance on the customer card?
  • Options
    ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Search the forum. The requirement had been discussed several times.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Brushanen wrote:
    When setting up a new database and importing the balances from SIE-files, how shall I do to make each customer / vendor the right balance?
    I would be nice to see the previous years entries in the general ledger as well as in the customer and vendor ledger.

Hi Brushanen,

the quesiton you ask has many different answers, this is why Mohana has suggested you search the forum, it will give you some context. But without knowing more about your situation we can't help a lot.

Are you the end user customer, or a developer or an implementation consultant from the partner? Is this an implementation you are planning, or is it already live? Was it an upgrade or a clean install?

etc give us some back ground if you want some help.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Brushanen wrote:

You will need to provide the following for your NAV partner:
    1. All A/R transactions (invoice, payments, credits, etc) since the beginning of time
    2. The application history for the A/R transactions (which payment applied to which invoice, etc)
    3. Repeat process for A/P.

We've done it on rare occasions. In my opinion, the cost of doing this outweights the benefit for the customer.
  • Options
    Brushanen wrote:

Hi Brushanen,

the quesiton you ask has many different answers, this is why Mohana has suggested you search the forum, it will give you some context. But without knowing more about your situation we can't help a lot.

Are you the end user customer, or a developer or an implementation consultant from the partner? Is this an implementation you are planning, or is it already live? Was it an upgrade or a clean install?
    etc give us some back ground if you want some help.

Hi David
    I am an implementation consultant and the project is a clean install. In the Swedish NAV version it is possible to import data via SIE-files. I did search the forum but couldn´t find enough info to solve my question so it would be great with help.
    Brushanen
  • Options
    I have no idea what an SIE file is. You probably need to talk with a Swedish Navision consultant. Have you implemented Navision before or is this your first implementation?
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Alex Chow wrote:
    ...the cost of doing this outweights the benefit for the customer.

If you added "In Most Cases" to that I would agree. But there are cases where history really is needed. Its rare that a client needs "everything", but there are a lot of cases where some item sales history is needs, or sales invoices for a few years are needed. I can also remember a client where they had a legal requirement to keep 5 years of financial history. The options were keep the old system running for five years to have access to history or move everything to Navision. The maintenance cost on the hard ware and software (an AS400 system) for 5 years was more than the total implementation costs (software, hardware and services) of Navision, so it was a no brainer to bring history across and turn off the AS400. Cases like that are rare though.

The more common need for history is for purchase planning where they need sales history, in the form of Item transactions monthly for X number of years, or more commonly companies with really bad AR that need to keep all history with certain problematic customers, generally along with "account notes" (Sales Comments).

So whilst I agree it is not so common, there are cases for it that are financially justified.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Thank you Alex and David,

Ok, i won´t import import the history on each customer/vendor. But if I want to import the existing details per open invoice (no history of paid invoices), is that possible and can I attach the open invoices on the customer/vendor? There are around 100 open invoices in AR as well as im AP.

David: SIE-file means just standard import export, eg a standard format for exporting-importing financial data between different systems containing transactions, accounts, dimensions and balances.
    Cheers/Brushanen
  • Options
    Brushanen wrote:
    Thank you Alex and David,

Ok, i won´t import import the history on each customer/vendor. But if I want to import the existing details per open invoice (no history of paid invoices), is that possible and can I attach the open invoices on the customer/vendor? There are around 100 open invoices in AR as well as im AP.

David: SIE-file means just standard import export, eg a standard format for exporting-importing financial data between different systems containing transactions, accounts, dimensions and balances.
    Cheers/Brushanen

You are welcome. Importing the data is pretty straight forward, not a huge job. Contact your partner, they will have done this dozens of times before.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Alex Chow wrote:
    ...the cost of doing this outweights the benefit for the customer.

If you added "In Most Cases" to that I would agree. But there are cases where history really is needed. Its rare that a client needs "everything", but there are a lot of cases where some item sales history is needs, or sales invoices for a few years are needed. I can also remember a client where they had a legal requirement to keep 5 years of financial history. The options were keep the old system running for five years to have access to history or move everything to Navision. The maintenance cost on the hard ware and software (an AS400 system) for 5 years was more than the total implementation costs (software, hardware and services) of Navision, so it was a no brainer to bring history across and turn off the AS400. Cases like that are rare though.

The more common need for history is for purchase planning where they need sales history, in the form of Item transactions monthly for X number of years, or more commonly companies with really bad AR that need to keep all history with certain problematic customers, generally along with "account notes" (Sales Comments).

So whilst I agree it is not so common, there are cases for it that are financially justified.

I think you're talking about sales history. Reading the post, I think the original poster wanted to convert A/R and A/P history.

Sales history, yes, we've converted that on a number of occasions.
  • Options
    Alex Chow wrote:
    ... but there are a lot of cases where some item sales history is needs, or sales invoices for a few years are needed. ...

I think you're talking about sales history. Reading the post, I think the original poster wanted to convert A/R and A/P history.

yes I did read the OP, and yes I meant (as I said) AR (Sales Invoices). AP is pretty uncommon though and I can only remember two clients that needed closed AP history brought over. But I have had a number of cases where clients needed AR brought across, not only open, but closed as well. That though is more industry dependent, and some industries pay late and find every excuse not to pay, and thus the client needs access to all the history so they can fight the stupid arguments that some customers put up.

As I said, Sales history is very common, AR whilst not common, it does happen, and it is in many cases financially justifiable. But it is wrong to simply ignore it and say "its not worth the effort" because occasionally it is.

I think what you were trying to say, is that many clients THINK they need all their history brought over, and I agree with your that in most cases it does not give a viable RIO to do so.
    David Singleton