Options

Run Classic & Role Tailored at Same Time ?

megawavezmegawavez Member Posts: 133
edited 2011-11-30 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,

We are currently on 5.0 (client and database). If I were to upgrade the client software (not database) to 2009, would I be able to then develop some role tailored pages? My goal to allow some users to access some portions of the database via the web, but I don't want to go upgrade to 2009 role tailored as of right now.

Thanks,
Mega

Comments

• Options
    AndwianAndwian Member Posts: 627
    :-k I don't think so, since the Pages object are in the database of 2009.
    Please CMIIW.
    Regards,
    Andwian
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Yes it's possible. We have seveal clients who have done exe upgrade and have built a couple of pages.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    ara3n wrote:
    Yes it's possible. We have seveal clients who have done exe upgrade and have built a couple of pages.

Thanks for the feedback - so we could continue to run our main database using the classic client, then setup some web pages and access remotely over the web? Do pages required internet explorer or can they be accessed through firefox?
  • Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    The RTC does not use internet explorer or firefox or any other web browser. It is a Windows application, just like the Classic Client. You can expose pages to the web, but only if you need users to interact with the data outside of the NAV RTC.

I suggest getting in touch with your NAV Partner so that you know exactly what you're getting into. It's not just an "open the database up in the 2009 executables" kind of upgrade. There are other pieces of software that have to be installed and understood.
  • Options
    matttrax wrote:
    The RTC does not use internet explorer or firefox or any other web browser. It is a Windows application, just like the Classic Client. You can expose pages to the web, but only if you need users to interact with the data outside of the NAV RTC.

I suggest getting in touch with your NAV Partner so that you know exactly what you're getting into. It's not just an "open the database up in the 2009 executables" kind of upgrade. There are other pieces of software that have to be installed and understood.

Thanks for the response !
  • Options
    With NAV 2009 R2 you can run the RTC client over internet, but requires good internet access and at max 10-15 concurrent people
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    ara3n wrote:
    With NAV 2009 R2 you can run the RTC client over internet, but requires good internet access and at max 10-15 concurrent people

So, it looks like a need a client to access nav 2009? Is it possible to do web browser only pages? I'd like to do something that would be accessible from any browser and would skip an active x plug-in.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Not in current version.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini