Options

New Book: Dynamics NAV 2009: Professional Reporting

DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
edited 2011-11-04 in General Chat
Over the past few months, a new NAV book about reporting has been in the works, and yesterday Packt Publishing sent out an email that it has finally been released. This book is a Must Read for every NAV developer. It covers classic reports, it dives deep into the inner workings of RDLC reports, and it covers a variety of other topics related to reporting. If you do anything with reporting in NAV, you have to get this book :mrgreen:

The book is called "Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009: Professional Reporting", written by Steven Renders, and reviewed by Waldo, Matt Traxinger, Alex Chow, and myself. Click here to go to the book's page on the Packtpub website. It is also available on Amazon.com.

Comments

• Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    It is a really good book and fills in a lot of the gaps where the Microsoft documentation leaves something to be desired. You should definitely give it a read and add it to your library.
  • Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Thanks to Packt Publishing, I can give away 4 copies of this new book. Read the announcement: Dynamics NAV book give away.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Just got my copy of the book. And after looking throught it, I have to say... WOW!! This book is way better than what I initially thought.

Not trying to sell you the book, but Steven Renders really did a fantastic job to fill in all the void and questions on ALL aspects of the reporting using the "Microsoft Stack". Better, there are pictures and examples for dumb people like me.

Well done Steven. :thumbsup:
  • Options
    azerty74azerty74 Member Posts: 82
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the nice remarks and recommendations. I hope the everyone enjoys reading it, I did my best to make it an interesting learning experience. Also a very big word of thanks for all reviewers: Waldo, Matt, Alex, and Daniel. Their experience, tips and guidance really proved to be an added value that helped to shape the book. :thumbsup:

Steven
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing code. Therefore if you write the code as cleverly as possible you are by definition not smart enough to debug it.
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Lost out on the free book again.
    :(

Went ahead and did the next best thing and bought the book/pdf bundle from Packt.
    Have skimmed it quickly. Looks like it will make a great addition to my NAV library.
    All I need is one idea to cost justify a new book, and this book should be worth a lot more than that to me.
    Thanks for all the time you put into it.

:thumbsup:
  • Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    Yes, excellent book.

In this age of video I think you can make more money (or have more response, reach more people, etc. ) if you create some videos from this book.
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Yes, excellent book.

In this age of video I think you can make more money (or have more response, reach more people, etc. ) if you create some videos from this book.

I'm not sure I can agree with that statement.

Not a lot of people have time (or patience) to sit through a video unless it's for entertainment.
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    You need some catchy songs.
    Maybe you could "rap" your demo?

When they boot one of the rappers off the X Factor, see if you can sign him up.
    :D