Options

Import/Export for Dev Toolkit

BokkBokk Member Posts: 138
I am starting an upgrade from Nav 3.70 to Nav 4.0. I have tried to export the objects in the DB in text format to import into the Dev Toolkit. I cannot do this because of a permissions error for codeunit 'Licensed Employee Count Mgmt', eventhough I am in as administrator.

I also tried importing into the toolkit directly from the DB. The transfer failed because of the same codeunit. (I didn't encounter this when upgrading from 3.60 to 3.70.)

I also tried importing an .fob file, but I got an error relative to the Fin.stx file. I tried every .stx file I have access to and it didn't seem to make a difference.

I am wondering if others have run into these same issues and how you dealt with them?

Thanks for any suggestions.
SGM

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    You are customer or NSC (Partner)??? It is license issue...

If you are customer, you do not have enough permission to do complete upgrade...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    We are an NSC so I have my Developer license which allows me full access, theoretically. I have never had an access problem before and didn't have any problems like this when doing the upgrade from 3.60 to 3.70. However, this is my first upgrade to 4.0 and it appears I am missing something.

I downloaded the ToolsCD for 4.0 and put the Dev Toolkit on my machine. I created a new DB in 4.0 and imported the DevTool.fob file in the Toolkit folder, then created a company. I opened up the Devtoolkit and attached the DB. (I tried specifying which fin files to access in the load process and I also loaded it and then put the fin files into the folder manually, but the outcome was the same.)

I tried to export my DB in a textfile format as mentioned, but that didn't work because of the permissions error. I exported an .fob file instead. When I try to import that into the toolkit it gives the error: "The language of the file to import does not match the language of the .stx file. Import stopped!". I have verified both fin files and tried different ones without success. I also tried checking the "Import from Navision Client" box when creating the Import Version in the toolkit, but it also failed on the 'Licensed Employee Count Mgmt' codeunit (37003000) due to permissions. (I also pulled this up in the Object Designer and can only run it, not design it.)

I am following the documentation for the DevToolkit, but I seem to be continually running into issues.
    SGM
  • Options
    I have since got my two versions into the Dev Toolkit. I selected all the objects and then de-selected codeunit 37003000 before exporting them in text format which worked. I was then able to import them into the Dev Toolkit so I can compare them.

I would still like to know why that one object appears to be different, if others are experiencing the same issues and if so, why it isn't mentioned in any of the documentation. (I haven't checked back, but I believe it was created as of version 3.70).

Thanks!
    SGM
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    if the number of the object is 37003000, it means that it is some addon - for this addon you need to have special granule from the author to be able to edit it (export it into text file) - or you can use user license if they have application builder granule...

generally: the addons are not accessible with personal licenses and you need to have special settlement with the owner of this addon. Workaround is situation, when user have bought this addon for use and have application builder or solution developer granule in the license...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Thanks for that information. I will likely do a little more inquiring because we don't have any addons installed. That object is also included in the base version of Nav 4.0 off the product CD (North American version).

Regards!
    SGM
  • Options
    KowaKowa Member Posts: 918
    The Human Resources/Employee Add-ons are usually 3rd-Party products which cannot be read with a developers licence.

You can create a report that runs through the object table a checks via the licence permission table wheather you have read access with your licence. Then you can put a dummy filter character like ~ in front of the Version List of all the Objects to which you have read access. Then set a filter on this character "~*" in the Import Version Card of the Developers Toolkit. This way you will only import objects that produce no read permission errors.
    Don't forget a function to delete the ~ in the Version List afterwards.
    Kai Kowalewski
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    You're right, that is a codeunit that is included with the standard product that you won;t have access to with a developer license. I always forget to exclude that object when I export objects form a 4.0 database. In my standard db I even just removed the codeunit, although I would not do that in a customer's database.
  • Options
    McCoyMcCoy Member Posts: 39
    I have been working on upgrades trying to use the toolkit - it does not work as indicated. Yes you must not use 37003000 as it is an add on - MS support indicates that even they do not have access to it. After many emails back and forth with MS Support it was finaly determined that they recommend only using the tool kit to compare the versions to see what code to manualy change for customizations not to truly merge the objects. I have not used the data portion of the upgrade but it is supposed to work - I will be doing that part next week - if any one has any tricks or tips - I am upgrading from 3.01b to 4.0 with payroll. any help or words of wisdomo greatly appreciated. [-o<