Options

Can not connect NAV server from RTC(window 7)

SINOEUNSTEVENNEANGSINOEUNSTEVENNEANG Member Posts: 202
edited 2011-10-28 in NAV Three Tier
- My NAV server is running Window 2008 server
- my RTC client is running window 7
but i can not connect from my RTC client (window 7)
Please advise me

Comments

• Options
    mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,503
    Have you modified in Customsettings file also?
  • Options
    yes. I have modified . any suggestion to make RTC client(window 7) connect to NAV server(window 2008)
  • Options
    Above attached screenshot is of Clientusersettings not Custom settings..
    You need to modify Customsettings file in Ystem where nav service is installed..

What error message you are getting?
    Can you be able to connect with finsql?
  • Options
    It works well on my server .but when i try to connect from another pc that are running window 7 then i got the error.
  • Options
    It works well on my server .but when i try to connect from another pc that are running window 7 then i got the error.

What is the error message? ](*,)
  • Options
    Please check my error message
  • Options
    Is your NAV Service running?

What is the logon settings for the serrvice?
    Is your SQL server and NAV service installed on same computer or different?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd301254.aspx
  • Options
    Sql server and Service on the same pc
  • Options
    Is your NAV Service running?

What is the logon settings for the serrvice?
    What about the above questions?

Why do you always skip half of the questions? :thumbsdown:
  • Options
    Maybe something wrong Customsettings file. but i don't know what it is................ :-k
  • Options
    check whether your service is running or not..

and do you have proper windows authentication setting?
    RTC works with only windows authentication..
  • Options
    my Service is running .
    but i don't know where to configure windows authentication setting. :thumbsup:
  • Options
    In Classic client, Tools-->Security-->Windows Authentication..

You need to add user from where you are trying..
    are both server and client system in same domain?
  • Options
    Sir. I don't use domain. I use network service account. I try to create the same username and password but still error. :thumbsup:
  • Options
    Sir. I don't use domain. I use network service account. I try to create the same username and password but still error. :thumbsup:

What do you mean that you dont use domain?

where did you modify this?

i asked you to add in Tools-->Security-->Windows Authentication..
  • Options
    I mean that my window not use domain.
    I added user on window 2008 then added in tool->security->window authentication.
    The user is the same for window 2008 and window 7.
  • Options
    is it a problem if i don't install active directory on my window 2008 server(NAV SERVER AND DATABASE COMPONENT) ?
  • Options
    is it a problem if i don't install active directory on my window 2008 server(NAV SERVER AND DATABASE COMPONENT) ?

Yes, it is..
  • Options
    Peter_Wibeck_[MSFT]Peter_Wibeck_[MSFT] Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 78
    If you have NAV 2009 R2 it will actual be possible to-do the setup without AD. A new key named ClientCredentialType was added in NAV 2009 R2. ClientCredentialType specifies how RoleTailored client users who connect to the server are authenticated.

The different options
      Windows, which is the default value: The client user's Windows logon credentials are used, and the user is not prompted for authentication information. This is the only form of RoleTailored client user authentication that is available in Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1 and Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009.

UserName: The client user is prompted to provide a domain user name and password when starting the RoleTailored client. You must use this option for users who log on from an Active Directory domain that differs from the domain where Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server is installed.

Steps
      1. Update ClientCredentialType in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\CustomSettings.config to "UserName" on server machine
      2. Update ClientCredentialType in C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\ClientUserSettings.config to "UserName" on client machine. Replace [user name] with your user name
      3. Restart service
      4. Start RTC
      5. Typ in the user name and password existing on the server machine. Don't use the client machine user name

Hope that helped.
      “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”

Peter Wibeck
      Software Development Engineer in Test
      Dynamics NAV Server and Installer team
      http://blog.wibeck.org/
    • Options
      "Peter wrote:
      "]If you have NAV 2009 R2 it will actual be possible to-do the setup without AD. A new key named ClientCredentialType was added in NAV 2009 R2. ClientCredentialType specifies how RoleTailored client users who connect to the server are authenticated.

The different options
        Windows, which is the default value: The client user's Windows logon credentials are used, and the user is not prompted for authentication information. This is the only form of RoleTailored client user authentication that is available in Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1 and Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009.

UserName: The client user is prompted to provide a domain user name and password when starting the RoleTailored client. You must use this option for users who log on from an Active Directory domain that differs from the domain where Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server is installed.

Steps
        1. Update ClientCredentialType in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\CustomSettings.config to "UserName" on server machine
        2. Update ClientCredentialType in C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\ClientUserSettings.config to "UserName" on client machine. Replace [user name] with your user name
        3. Restart service
        4. Start RTC
        5. Typ in the user name and password existing on the server machine. Don't use the client machine user name

Hope that helped.

I just updated
        Update ClientCredentialType in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\CustomSettings.config to "UserName" then i can not start service of "Microsoft Dynamic NAV Server". what's wrong with it ?
      • Options
        Any information from event log?

Peter Wibeck
      • Options
        I did overlook a small step in the process. You need to setup certification to get it to work.
        Guides can be found here under subject "Procedural Overview": http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg502476.aspx

Doing "Walkthrough: Implementing Security Certificates in a Test Environment " on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg502478.aspx should get you going again. Not it's only for test purpose, in a live envirnoment take a look at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg502467.aspx.

Hope you will be able to set it up.

Peter Wibeck
      • Options
        It can be done even more simple at least for development and test purpose. It's preferable to use certification in production envirnoment.

1. Update ClientCredentialType in C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\ClientUserSettings.config to "UserName" on client machine. Replace [user name] with your user name.
        2. Start RTC and you will get a popup box asking for credential. For user name type "[server machine name]\[user name on server machine]".

[Hint]
        When I did try this first time I did run into firewall problems. The problem was I hade not allowed all network profiles to connect to NAV server. I was missing "Public".

Peter Wibeck
      • Options
        FranklinFranklin Member Posts: 253
        Yep... now you can work with RTC without AD...

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nav/