Options

Didn't they make a mistake with the metadata

mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
edited 2011-10-27 in NAV Three Tier
Im not that into the RTC Client and just started to use and modify it for a customer.

After modifying a page I got an error message about the metadata that got me searching for it on this forum. I just exported some records to XML files and was a bit surprised about the data in it. It defines the page and with fields and actions.

So my guess is its not that hard to create a website which can show a NAV page as a html page (with the metadata) and directly call the standard NAV webservice to get some data. For this you don't need the expensive license. All processing is done on the server (by the webservice) so it's almost a clientless ERP application.

Ok, it will take some weeks to create but not that hard to do. Once you have a main controller which can handle the metadata and show columns, fields and move to the next record, it can handle all created pages.

Why don't they release a webclient?

How will they count the licensed users? With this you can create your own users table and use that as a login.

Did they make a mistake or is this the future, all things opening up to be used anyway you want.

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    If you read the news from directions, you can know that web client was announced. Of course, you can deduct from it how it could be with licensing. Of course, making all in line with licensing in other applications should be logical step, but who knows...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    Just did ;)http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lukad/archive/2 ... azure.aspx

And found Stratus. It looks like the creator had some information at first hand. But first class to Stratus figuring this out. They only have a few years to make money on it I think, because of the recent news.

Do you know if any video's of those presentations were made at directions?
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Just did ;)http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lukad/archive/2 ... azure.aspx

And found Stratus. It looks like the creator had some information at first hand. But first class to Stratus figuring this out. They only have a few years to make money on it I think, because of the recent news.

Do you know if any video's of those presentations were made at directions?

Few years? More like 1 year. NAV7 is scheduled to release in Oct. 2012.

The web client for NAV really caught everyone, including the insiders, by surprise.
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I agree with Alex, and possibly not even one year, because anyone that was now thinking about a custom web client are instead going to wait till they see what comes out of the box.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Scheduled October 2012.
    But when will it b actually released?
    I am guessing the pre-release will be available to all partners by Directions next year. The actual release date could slip until Convergence 2013.
    With all the changes, existing customer adoption may start in 2014.
    I hope I am wrong, and everything ships on time with minimal bugs, but 1 year is a long way off and they have a huge number of wonderful changes that have to be fully implemented and debugged prior to release.
    :D :thumbsup:
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    davmac1 wrote:
    Scheduled October 2012.
    But when will it b actually released?
    I am guessing the pre-release will be available to all partners by Directions next year. The actual release date could slip until Convergence 2013.
    With all the changes, existing customer adoption may start in 2014.
    I hope I am wrong, and everything ships on time with minimal bugs, but 1 year is a long way off and they have a huge number of wonderful changes that have to be fully implemented and debugged prior to release.
    :D :thumbsup:

I agree with you, but that's not usually how the customer hears it. You tell them this exact sentence, they'll still think:
    "Dynamics NAV is going to release a web client next year. I'll hold off on that investment."

I think showing the product 1 year to the public before it's actually release does more harm to the channel than anything... But just my opinion.