Options

How many flowfields in a single table?

kirkostaskirkostas Member Posts: 127
edited 2011-09-29 in NAV Three Tier
I want to create flowfields in table Job for each field on this form 1025 Job Statistics.
All these fields will be shown in a page Job List and some of them will be ratio extended data type.
Is this going to affect a lot the performance of the system?
Is it possible to achieve this? Because we are talking about 40 flowfields.
Do you have any other suggestion?
kirkostas

Comments

• Options
    pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    kirkostas wrote:
    Yes... You will regret it, if you go this way. (Except if you also sell hardware 8))
    Regards
    Peter
  • Options
    pdj wrote:
    kirkostas wrote:
    Yes... You will regret it, if you go this way. (Except if you also sell hardware 8))

What do you suggest?
    kirkostas
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I would suggest not to add the fields to the table, and to provide a statistics screen that you can open from the list page.
  • Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    You need to approach it from the business side first. What fields do they need to see all of the time, and what fields do they need easy access to. If they need to see it all the time, FlowFields are good. If they need to easy access, the Statistics form is good. Obviously each needs to be balanced with performance (for when they come back and say we always need to see every field at all times :D )
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Adding 40 flowfields to a list form is only a good idea if the users don't mind waiting for individual records to pop into the form, this is always going to cause big performance issues.

Another idea might be to add a handful of the most important ones to a factbox, which then would only load for the active record.
  • Options
    I thank you all for your ideas.
    kirkostas