Options

Unzipping a zip file from the RTC

KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
edited 2011-08-18 in NAV Three Tier
Hi all,

It might be the wrong forum to put this in, but I am at my witts end.

This is my situation:
Production server:
1. RTC 2009R2 and Dynamics Nav Service build 6.00.32558
2. Windows server OS 2008R2 32 Bit
3. SQL server 2008 R2 32 Bit

Test server:
1. RTC 2009R2 and Dynamics Nav Service build 6.00.32558
2. Windows server OS 2003 32 Bit
3. SQL server 2008 R2 32 Bit

Now I have developed a page that will unzip a file on the Nav server and then download it to the client and open it.
This works perfectly on the test server, however I am not able to get it working on the Production box.
The user running the Dynamics NAV service is a local admin on the server.

I narrowed it down to the code that does the unzip using Shell32 command. And I think it is a security setting on Windows Server 2008.
My question is: Is there a network/security guru among us that can help me change the security settings so I can get this to work on Server 2008?

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Willy
Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.

Answers

• Options
    deV.chdeV.ch Member Posts: 543
    I guess its realted to the UAC (Win2008 uses UAC), now the question is, is it the unzip tool, or command itself that is not allowed to be executed, or just the folder. Try to use a folder that you have permissions on, what's the folder/path you are using right now? If the unzip command itself is only allowed to be executed under administrator then you have a problem. If possible you could try to deactivate UAC but i don't know if this is possible and i wouldn't suggest it either...
  • Options
    pawanppawanp Member Posts: 90
    is your service running under Log on NT Authority\NetworkService???
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

I have it figured out. The Navision Server is running on a Domain account that is also an administrator on the server.
    The problem was, that the UAC was on. We had to turn it off and then it started working immediately.
    Apparently when you do issue a Copy command using the Shell32.dll, the UAC will stop it even when the account is an administrator.

Thanks!

Regards,

Willy
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.
  • Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Don't forget to mark this topic as solved. Could be useful for someone else sometime. See Forum Rules #3.9 for the procedure.

[EDIT] That's quick ;-)
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    deV.chdeV.ch Member Posts: 543
    a simple copy shouldn't be stopped by UAC. what's the source & destination folder? UAC should only stop a copy to a destination that is in a system path (for example C:\Program Files\....

You should be able to copy to a directory like : C:\Temp\...

I know your problem is solved, but turning of the UAC should be only the last option (IMO).
  • Options
    Hi,

actually it was the "C:\Temp" folder as the target folder on the server that was causing the issues.
    I turned of UAC and then it started working. When the UAC was still turned on, I tried giving all domain users full control to that directory and it still didn't work. I don't know but it is solved. I also tried to use the "ApplicationTemp" folder, but apparently there are some restrictions on Path length when using the "Files" virtual table, etc.

Thanks.

PS: Luc, it took me a while to find the solved setting. Sorry, I'll read the manual next time... :D