In 3-Tier, Modified Page Need Restart Service

johannajohanna Member Posts: 369
edited 2011-07-27 in NAV Three Tier
Dear All,

I have installed NAV 2009 R2 in 3-tier architecture :
Server 1 : Database Server + Classic Client
Server 2 : Middle Server for NAV Service
Terminal Server : RTC

When I modify page in Classic with SQL and run my modified page, the page is not modified and still like old page. When I try to restart NAV Service, then my modified page is changed as I wish. Is it actually like this in 3-tier architecture? I need to restart service to see the change of my page or report. But, if I install NAV 2009 in one server only, after I modify page or report in Classic and run the page or report, the result is modified page or modified report without need to restart the service.
How to see the modified page or modified report without need to restart the service in 3-tier architecture? Please help me.. Thank you..
Best regards,

Johanna

Answers

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Check the event log on the service tier, when you restart the service. There should be message about listener and that it is not enabled or something like that. Try to solve this. The service tier should load the objects automatically in most cases...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Hi Kine,

Thanks for your reply. I have try to restart the service and this is the message in Event Viewer :
    service MicrosoftDynamicsNAVServer is listening to requests at net.[url=tcp://xxxxx.z.com:7046/DynamicNAV/Service]tcp://xxxxx.z.com:7046/DynamicNAV/Service[/url]

There is not message about not enabled.. Please help.. Thank you..
    Best regards,

Johanna
  • Options
    SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    You're probably faster in starting the RTC than the listener updating the page.
    Either wait 30 seconds or restart the RTC a couple of times. You're updated page should be visible on the second or third try.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • Options
    Dear Sog,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try it.. :)
    Best regards,

Johanna
  • Options
    |To-Increase|
  • Options
    Dear Sog,

Thanks so much for your kindness to find that article.. :)
    I have read and unfortunately cannot find the Broker Enabled in my SQL Server 2005...
    But, I find out that if I modify objects with delegation user, I don't need to restart NAV service to see the changes. So, now I still want to find out how to make other user with SUPER role to be able to modify objects and see the modified objects without need to restart the service in 3-tier architecture.. :)
    Best regards,

Johanna
  • Options
    It's strange... I modify objects with delegation user, sometimes I nees to restart NAV service and sometimes I don't need to restart NAV service to see the changes.. It's confusing me... Please help...
    Best regards,

Johanna
  • Options
    VotucVotuc Member Posts: 206
    johanna wrote:
    It's strange... I modify objects with delegation user, sometimes I nees to restart NAV service and sometimes I don't need to restart NAV service to see the changes.. It's confusing me... Please help...

Usually all I need to do is close the RTC completely and reopen it to see a modified page. however, if you are modifying the Role Center Departments or something similar (in my experience) you will need to restart the NAV Service Tier.
  • Options
    Thanks Votuc,

I have try to close and repen the RTC, but the page still like old page.. :(
    Best regards,

Johanna
  • Options
    Sog wrote:

Hi Sog,

I have tried the suggestion in that article.. My Broker Enabled is FALSE. Then I change it to TRUE. After restart NAV service and run RTC, it result error:
    "The Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server cannot connect the Change Listener to SQL Server because of the following error : CREATE PROCEDURE permission denied in database 'XXXXXXX'"
    I don't know what should I do.. :(
    Best regards,

Johanna
  • Options
    It means that the user that runs the service tier has insufficient rights on the SQL server. (as in, it's not allowed to create a new procedure). This procedure is the listener that monitors the object table.
    You ought to modify the permissions for that user on your SQLdb
    |To-Increase|
  • Options
    dmccraedmccrae Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 144
    There is a bit more to it to enable query notifications in the change listener (rather than polling). This article explains the needed commands:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd568739.aspx
    Dean McCrae - Senior Software Developer, NAV Server & Tools

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • Options
    Sog wrote:
    It means that the user that runs the service tier has insufficient rights on the SQL server. (as in, it's not allowed to create a new procedure). This procedure is the listener that monitors the object table.
    You ought to modify the permissions for that user on your SQLdb

Thanks Sog,

What permission the user must has in my SQL DB ? sysadmin? :D
    Best regards,

Johanna
  • Options
    dmccrae wrote:
    There is a bit more to it to enable query notifications in the change listener (rather than polling). This article explains the needed commands:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd568739.aspx

Hi Dean,

Thanks for your suggestion.. I have read your given article.. I have enabled change listener to my user, but I don't enable Query Notification for the Object Change Listener yet.. I will try it.. Thank you :)
    Best regards,

Johanna
  • Options
    This issue is solved.
    When modified page need restart service to see the changement, try to enable/disable Broker Enabled in SQL Server 2008. To do this, the user must have sysadmin & db_owner role.
    Thanks everyone ! :)
    Best regards,

Johanna
  • Options
    mgmmgm Member Posts: 126
    I have service and client installed on laptop. I dont't use delegation.
    I got the same message:
    "The Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server cannot connect the Change Listener to SQL Server because of the following error : CREATE PROCEDURE permission denied in database 'XXXXXXX'"

After giving the new user dbo_owner rights on the database, it works fine.
    Is this required, or can it be done without giving dbo_owner rights?