Options

Unauthorized Access to NAV 2009 R2 through RTC

philipuskdphilipuskd Member Posts: 36
edited 2011-05-27 in NAV Three Tier
I confused with some strange things happens to our NAV installation. I have a Windows Server 2008 SP1, SQL 2005 SP3 and NAV 2009R2(Installing Demo from the setup wizard) installed in the same machine. Locally, the NAV installation works fine. So I started to assign some domain users (including domainname\administrator) as NAV 2009 R2 users in windows login window through classic client with SQL Server.

Right after the user assigned and synchronized, I cannot log in to NAV classic using sql server's sa user as well as to RTC when logged in to windows using user(s) that i did not add in windows login window. it is obvious because I did not add sa to Database Login and the other domain user to windows login.

Then I tried to install RTC client in one of my VPC. it is windows XP professional SP2, and i installed in it NAV 2009 R2. I have joined this computer to the windows server 2008 SP1. then i tried to logged in using to my vpc using domainname\administrator and with no luck, I cannot connect to the NAV Server. I've typed the addres manually "servername:7046/DynamicsNAV" or "serverIPAddress:7046/DynamicsNAV" but RTC always give an error 'a server was not found at "net.[url=tcp://servername:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service]tcp://servername:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service[/url]". Either the URL is incorrect or the server is currently not abaliable.' or 'a server was not found at "net.[url=tcp://serverIPAddress:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service]tcp://serverIPAddress:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service[/url]". Either the URL is incorrect or the server is currently not abaliable.'. THIS IS PROBLEM NO 1. I cannot acces NAV 2009 R2 using RTC from other computer in the same network and domain.

because of curiosity, install the NAV 2009 R2 RTC into my host machine, Windows 7 Entrerprise. i DID NOT join my windows 7 to the domain, and I logged in using a user, completely foreign user to the domain, it is actually my local user in the windows 7. i run the RTC and tried to connect to my nav server in windows sever 2008 SP1. And out of my understanding to RTC security system, the RTC managed to logged in to NAV database using my local user. The select server window show the server address = serverIPaddress:7046/DynamicsNAV, Network = Negotiated Authentication (kerberos or NTLM). THIS IS PROBLEM NO. 2. how can I logged in to NAV using user that not even exist in windows login as it is setup. even user out of the domain.

thanks in advance for any replies regarding problem no 1 and/or problem no 2.

Regars,

Philipus

Comments

• Options
    julkifli33julkifli33 Member Posts: 1,073
    is the service started?
    or can you try to restart it...
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Check this> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg502476.aspx

You can enter the login information through "Credential Manager" / "Manage Windows Credentials" if the dialog is not displayed.

Of course, you need to be sure that the port 7046 is opened from outside and accessible through the network from the client machine.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    julkifli33 wrote:
    is the service started?
    or can you try to restart it...

I've tried to, even after reinstalling the NAV Server (All NAV features to be exact) this doesn't help :(
  • Options
    kine wrote:
    Check this> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg502476.aspx

You can enter the login information through "Credential Manager" / "Manage Windows Credentials" if the dialog is not displayed.

Of course, you need to be sure that the port 7046 is opened from outside and accessible through the network from the client machine.

Is the login information in the "Credential Manager" / "Manage Windows Credentials" is causing the second problem (the unauthorized access)? Are those credential info were added because I installed the NAV Server through Remote Desktop Connection to the Server (from my windows 7) so, somehow, NAV server can be accessed from my RTC in my windows 7 without any credential info to be added to the windows login in NAV?
  • Options
    It could be... if you enter the login info once and check the "Remember" check mark, it will save the credentials. Than it could use them when needed...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Kamil,

Thx for your kind replies.

I tried to remove all my credential to access my windows server 2008 SP1 in "Credential Manager" (in my windows 7). And yes, I cannot access the NAV server using the RTC from my windows 7 anymore. What still in my concern is, my local user is not even in the windows login which should be the last filter for who is and/or is not permitted to access NAV, but using this credential thing, it can access the NAV. I’m afraid it will compromise the security somehow.

The first problem, in the other hand, has not been resolved yet. I have my widows xp join the domain, log in using administrator of the domain (which listed on windows login in NAV classic), but the RTC cannot connect to the server with the error I mentioned in the first post. 'a server was not found at "net.[url=tcp://servername:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service]tcp://servername:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service[/url]". Either the URL is incorrect or the server is currently not abaliable.'

Is there any possibility that unabling me to access NAV through RTC in my windows XP?

Regards
  • Options
    CHeck that there is exception in the firewall which open the port 7046 for remote connections.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    I did. There’s an exception for Microsoft Dynamics NAV and/or I add the exception for port 7046. The Error persists even after I turn of firewalls on both side (windows 2008 server SP1 and windows XP)
  • Options
    THan check that the Service is running. If it is, restart it and check the event log for messages/warnings/errors.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Kamil,

I found out that there's actually nothing wrong with my NAV 2009 installation. The problem seems to be with my static DNS setting. The windows xp client was able to run RTC and connected successfully to the server back several days before. I'm doing some testing to our network here so I need to change some network setting (which I did not have proper experience) which causes my windows xp unable to find the DNS server. I found this out when i was traying to re-join then windows xp to the domain, and failed. When I changed it back to the original working setting, The RTC runs successfully.

thanks for you support :D

Regards
  • Options
    Ok, we have skipped the "try ping the server name" step this time. If we did it, we would know more much earlier... 8)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.