Options

Performance Problems with more then 100 Users?

skiddooskiddoo Member Posts: 19
Hello!

I have read that Navision had some perfomance problems if more then 100 users access the database.

Have anyone expririence with larger installations? Wich databaso you're use and how many users access the database?

Thanks a lot!

skiddoo

Comments

• Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Usually, for 100 user, we recommend to use the SQL Server Option. This way ... no problem at all! \:D/

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    Captain_DX4Captain_DX4 Member Posts: 230
    I'm currently consulting for a medical company with a heavily customized solution. They are licenced for 78 users and they are running a NATIVE database at over 65G.

I must say, the biggest daily beef here is that the system operates too slowly in some areas. Sometimes it becomes an overall slowness that brings people to their knees. The original NSC appears to have attempted to load them on an SQL database using a NATIVE database as the basis for all the customizations, so they were missing the key differences in the C/AL code that make the SQL instance unique and workable. But I digress...

SQL is most probably the way you wish to go. If it's set up right (using the proper database to begin with), then it becomes a better operator at larger sized installations. I would say do not compare the smaller installations between the Native and SQL. Native will almost always win! It's in the larger installations with years of transactions that SQL shines. Making sure code is optimized to prevent unnecessary table locking, etc., is always best practice as well.

Hope this helps!
    Kristopher Webb
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer
  • Options
    HeltborgHeltborg Member Posts: 9
    I have a client with 330 concurret users running on SQL. As long as you design the system correctly you should have no issues
  • Options
    SorcererSorcerer Member Posts: 107
    we have 250 users with 150 average users concurring the navision database is 2.60, technically 3.70 on sql server.

since navision is NOT designed and optimized for sql server (even not in version 4.00 (db)) the system stucks some times...

for 100 users you could give the native database a try...i ve also seen companies working with about 125 users working on navision native database with a good performance...

...or if you have enough man power / knowledge about the sql server you should be able to optimize navision...or wait until navision 4.01, where the sql integration should be optimized (as mbs says)
  • Options
    StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 99
    Hi

I used to work for a company who were running Native (Financials) database with 130+ concurrent users with no problems at all.
    Answer the question and wait for the answer.
  • Options
    mcoAggiemcoAggie Member Posts: 23
    :D

I work in a distribution company, we usually have 100-120 concurrent users in a heavily customized 60 GB native db. We run 5 Navision companies and have 12 offices in 10 countries that come in through citrix meta frame. The navision database hangs sometimes with table locks but most of it is due to over-customization for the sales lines. Table locks average about 10-20 sec. This did take some time to get the configuration up to par. We still have some clean-up and performance tuning but for the most part it runs well. Volume isn't all that high but we implemented JIT inventory and run e-ship so depending on how you count transactions we have anywhere from 1500 - 3000 transactions per day.