Options

Erase item numbers from table 27 (Item)

Linda_NilssonLinda_Nilsson Member Posts: 6
How is it possible to erase old items (table 27), considering there has been transactions. When I try, there is a warning, where I’m not authorised to changes in table 5802 (Value Entry). How is this possible, when I have the highest role permission.

Which risk is involved with erasing table lines, direcltly of the server or by an ODBC connection to Access?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Navision is Relation database - if you delete the item record, all fields which are linked to this item, will be corrupted (will lead to nonexisting item) - it is corruption of the table relations - please, do not delete such a records - it brings only problems. Better solution is to mark them and filter them out from all forms...

once again - DO NOT DELETE ITEM IF ENTRIES EXISTS (same applies to G/L accounts, Resources etc.) [-X [-o<
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Edward_BloomfieldEdward_Bloomfield Member Posts: 155
    Hello Linda,

If there are no open entries within the current financial year for it, you should be able to delete an old item.

NB: Which version are you using? The error message you are getting about not having permission to change entries in the Value Entry table (5802) is a known issue with versions 3.01 and 3.10. If this is the case, you need to speak to to your NSC and ask them to fix your database, as there is hotfix/ known solution to this one.

I would not try to interefere with the data via ODBC or directly.

I think you will find that the fix will let you delete most of you old items.
    Edward Bloomfield

Lead Consultant
    Theta
  • Options
    I checked up the deletion process - all links in Item Ledger Entries and Value Entries will be changed to empty code, you will lost details, about the item, and if you will need for example print some report in previous period somewhen, you will have wrong data and output will be garbled... (and I do not know your laws - somewhere can be problem when you lost such a data)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    CaffaCaffa Member Posts: 15
    Edward is right.
    Take a look at Codeunit 361 MoveEntries;

In higher versions the Permissions in this object are expanded. For example Permissions to Read/Modify Value Entries are added.
  • Options
    Linda_NilssonLinda_Nilsson Member Posts: 6
    If I had the permission to move enties - does that mean that I have to earase all transactions, where the specific article is involved. Wouldn't I loose valuable economical data then?

Would the hotfix for codeunit 361, involne risks with all our adjustments to 3.10. Like every other company, we have made many adjustment, and we have been advised not to upgrade the hotfixes to our database.
  • Options
    It will not delete entries, it will only clear Item No. on the entries... information about amounts etc. are not lost, only information about which item it was is lost...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.