Options

Stock allocation, Sales Orders & Back Orders

joehjoeh Member Posts: 32
edited 2011-01-24 in NAV Three Tier
Hi there,
I am trying to research how the back-order, future stock and stock reservation functions work in Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1 (or R2).

One of the issues I’m having during my research is that I can’t seem to find where I am able to disable the ability for stocks to go into a negative quantity as I’d like to see the systems actions for this.. would it not let me complete an order or would it treat the order specially and hold it for future allocation?

Additionally, what I am trying to achieve is to find how a part allocated order is dispatched and what happens to the document/picking note when the remaining required stock comes into availability. During the period of unavailability, where are uncompleted invoices stored and how does a document get an updated Payment Due Date once the remaining stock is despatched? Would this split the order into several different invoices in order to respect the payment due date or will it be allocated from invoice posting date and that once the order is placed the date due will not be changeable regardless of items being on back-order?

Additionally I would like to know how stocks can be allocated in the future (allocating an incoming shipment to arrive for example in 2 months’ time) and how I can get accurate earliest availability dates for sales orders where it checks the next stock incoming if it has enough quantity and if any of that has already been reserved for a previous sales order; then if an incoming shipment quantity changes, how this will be reflected on the reservations and earliest availability dates? Would dates be dynamically updated to sales lines or will a code unit be required to run in order to rebuild these? Or is this not a possible function?

Also are there functions to (for example - a specific customer) disallow a specific item to be dispatched with part quantity?

Thanks
Joeh Chan,
HostLive Limited

Comments

• Options
    kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    joeh wrote:
    Hi there,
    I am trying to research how the back-order, future stock and stock reservation functions work in Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1 (or R2).

One of the issues I’m having during my research is that I can’t seem to find where I am able to disable the ability for stocks to go into a negative quantity as I’d like to see the systems actions for this
    for this check this post viewtopic.php?f=23&t=45585

.. would it not let me complete an order or would it treat the order specially and hold it for future allocation?

Additionally, what I am trying to achieve is to find how a part allocated order is dispatched and what happens to the document/picking note when the remaining required stock comes into availability. During the period of unavailability, where are uncompleted invoices stored and how does a document get an updated Payment Due Date once the remaining stock is despatched?
    Payment Due dates are calculated on the basis of the document date so if I am right co-relating inventory availability with payment due date would not be feasible.

Would this split the order into several different invoices in order to respect the payment due date
    yes
    or will it be allocated from invoice posting date and that once the order is placed the date due will not be changeable regardless of items being on back-order?
    If the posting date is changed then the document date becomes same as the posting date so system in one way takes care of this.

Additionally I would like to know how stocks can be allocated in the future (allocating an incoming shipment to arrive for example in 2 months’ time) and how I can get accurate earliest availability dates for sales orders where it checks the next stock incoming if it has enough quantity and if any of that has already been reserved for a previous sales order;
    This can be checked if you are using available-to-promise feature

then if an incoming shipment quantity changes, how this will be reflected on the reservations and earliest availability dates? Would dates be dynamically updated to sales lines or will a code unit be required to run in order to rebuild these? Or is this not a possible function?
    If the Purchase orders are created using planning functionality then yes system in case of any change would suggest to change the shipment dates of sales order. You can ask your partner to show you to use action message functionality for this

Also are there functions to (for example - a specific customer) disallow a specific item to be dispatched with part quantity?
    Not in relation to customer / item but if you check "completely shipped" field on customer card then system would not allow you to make partial shipment (irrespective of item) it would force you to dispatch complete qty in one shot.

Thanks
    Kapil Khanna
  • Options
    joehjoeh Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for getting back to me, just reading through now :)

If I have any further questions I'll post them up

Thanks again
    Joeh
    Joeh Chan,
    HostLive Limited