Options

RTC - Printing reports

rico1931rico1931 Member Posts: 295
edited 2010-12-13 in NAV Three Tier
Hello everyone!

So I thought I was so close to being done but i have a problem with my reports that maybe someone can help me try to figure out.

I have a header and body on my report and when the body gets too long for it self the next line Item should appear on the following page without the header. (as a side note: I have gone into classic view section and disabled the header to print on every page and in VS i disable the print on last page option)

Im just wondering what in the world im doing wrong?!?!

attached I posted a pdf of our sales quote. I've modified it enough to show what I want and had to take out the logo on the first page idk why the customer wanted this.. but anyways...)

The bounding box around the ship to and bill to still show up on pgs 2-4.. and the next item in the sales line shows up on pg 3 instead of being at the top of pg 2!

any insight to this would be greatly appreciated .. I will start form the begging just to figure this out!

Thank you so much!
-rico1931

Comments

• Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    there's no attachment...afaik, you can attach only images in mibuso forum, not pdfs...
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • Options
    Belias wrote:
    there's no attachment...afaik, you can attach only images in mibuso forum, not pdfs...

Thanks Belias I didn't even realize this.. well I attached jpeg screen shots of the report.. thanks! .. pg 4 will be on the next post
    -rico1931
  • Options
    page 4! i'm still working on it.. trying to change around some options to see if it works.. but im starting to think im missing code somewhere.. yet i dont know what code ](*,)
    -rico1931
  • Options
    i think your page is too large, and you have to shrink it a bit
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    Belias wrote:
    i think your page is too large, and you have to shrink it a bit

wow that was quick Belias! forget about the whole time zone thing some times.. you know us americans and think the whole world is east coast lol... but Belias the current properties in VS for PageSize is width 27.0cm x Height 20cm (for landscape) do you think I will need to get it smaller than that? I'll try it..
    -rico1931
  • Options
    for landscape, the size can be at least 29,7 but you have to consider also:
    - the margins (usually nav sets a weird 2,1 cm left margin
    - the size of the controls in your rdlc layout (if it's higher than the page size....)
    - the size of the "empty space" in the rdlc layout. for empty space, i mean the space (usually on the right of the report) that is free of controls the report design...if you don't shrink it, it counts as the page width (i hope i've been clear, it's hard to explain)
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    Belias wrote:
    for landscape, the size can be at least 29,7 but you have to consider also:
    - the margins (usually nav sets a weird 2,1 cm left margin
    - the size of the controls in your rdlc layout (if it's higher than the page size....)
    - the size of the "empty space" in the rdlc layout. for empty space, i mean the space (usually on the right of the report) that is free of controls the report design...if you don't shrink it, it counts as the page width (i hope i've been clear, it's hard to explain)

def clear thanks... i'm going to check out all of these and will post back with what I came up with.. thanks!
    -rico1931
  • Options
    So i'm reading the Microsoft Training documents that came with the software and I come to this notion on pg 31/70 in NA2009_ENUS_REP_01.pdf
    Section Properties
    The following list shows the properties on section level that are frequently used
    when designing reports. Sections only have a few properties, and as they are
    replaced by the RDLC data component, they will in most cases be ignored.
    PrintOnEveryPage
    Use this property to indicate whether a header or footer section must be printed
    on every page or only on the first (headers) or the last (footers).
    This property is ignored by the RDLC report layout. To have sections printed on
    every page, you can set the RepeatOnNewPage property for the (table and/or
    group) headers and footers in Visual Studio.

So i'm in VS and click on Page Header and check out the Properties and only see under the tab Misc the options of "PrintOnFirstPage" and "PrintOnLastPage" I def do NOT see the RepoeatOnNewPage property.. where in the He** do you set that property?!?!?! do u have to first set it in the classic client? UGHHH I can't wait for the new Nav...
    -rico1931
  • Options
    read carefully:
    you can set the RepeatOnNewPage property for the (table and/or
    group
    ) headers and footers in Visual Studio.
    this setting does not exists for report header and footer, because they're ALWAYS PRINTED on every page.
    your layout is probably too large: try to shrink it (shrink everything, not just the controls)
    moreover, check the "about this report" to see if your dataset contains blank records. if so, play with printonlyifdetail property in classic report (this is not ignored in rdlc layout) and/or hidden property of the table control in the rdlc layout.
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    ahhhhh I see now.. Thanks Belias

now I made the lay out as small as possible.. converted everything to in because cm is too hard for my feeble mind to think in :P and yet when I print the PDF I have ALLL this white space in the bottom and page 2 is printing out blank with a red X box where the logo is suppose to be. I even took out rows like "VAT" that I didn't need.

Attached are my report properties and pic of the report with all the white space at the bottom..

Also Belias how do you find the "about this report" to check if my dataset contains blank records

thank you!
    -rico1931
  • Options
    you can activate "about this report feature" with ctrl+alt+f1 from the report preview. it works.
    if you can't see any "strange" record (i mean, some record with a ton of blank fields) the problem is with the margins, otherwise the problem is with the dataset and you have to review how you built it.
    please attach the rdlc layout, instead of the preview
    P.S.: you guys should use the "meter" unit of measure, it's the standard one! :mrgreen:
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    Belias wrote:
    you can activate "about this report feature" with ctrl+alt+f1 from the report preview. it works.
    if you can't see any "strange" record (i mean, some record with a ton of blank fields) the problem is with the margins, otherwise the problem is with the dataset and you have to review how you built it.
    please attach the rdlc layout, instead of the preview
    P.S.: you guys should use the "meter" unit of measure, it's the standard one! :mrgreen:

Hi Belias.. So I activated the about this report feature in the RTC and I get the pop up that says it is now active and to re run the report.. but when I go to start>run DynamicsNav:////runreport?report=50017 it just opens up a new RTC window and I run my report and see nothing is different. Sorry i'm so ignorant.. i've been reading all the pdf's that came with this software and trying to learn.. also over the wknd I just decided to start from scratch so i'm going to try to redo the whole report and constrain my layout size.

and I thought we aren't allowed to attach anything other then pics? are we allowed to attach the .rdlc file?
    -rico1931
  • Options
    It's not ignorance, you're just starting from chapter 10 instead of chapter 1... :mrgreen: isn't there a senior developer who can help you?
    anyway, you can attach the pic of the rdlc layout...it should be enough to understand, if the layout does fit in a printscreen...
    otherwise you can post the text version of the report, but i guess it doesn't work on a cronus standard database.
    use ctrl+alt+f1 on the request page, then hit esc and run the report. If you then press the ctrl+alt+f1 on the report preview, the about this report will pop up
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    LOL thanks Belias so true! unfortunately we are a small company here in the states and there are only 2 IT ppl here including myself. We just invested so much into this software and I've been working the past 4 months just importating data from out old sage systems to NAV. <<--and boy did I think that was hard! As for Senior developer... ya.. that doesn't exist lol.. i guess that would be my role :shock: I just graduated from univ with a comp sci degree but I never had to work with these kind of programs...give me a project in JAVA or any language = no problem.. give me a project where I have to work with software and redesign what a team of people from microsoft did = a lot of ](*,) :idea: :?: :!: :x and a ton of other things lol..

But as for the report the layout has been fixed and works! I just tried adding multiple line items to the report and now on pg 2 the header doesn't show up. But in my readings i came across a help file that said I need to use the "=code.SetData() and =code.GetData() to make the header print on multiple pages (please tell me if i'm wrong)

I guess the final step would be to figure out how I can override my printer settings to stop trying to print this damn report in portrait instead of landscape! Every time I want to print out the report I have to go to the printers properties and change it from portrait to landscape..even though in classic client report I changed the report properties (orientation = landscape and paper size = 8 1/2 x 11)

and you are totally right about using MM.. why the U.S has to be special and use "in" idk.. story of my life whenever I try to things to standard.. lol..

Thanks Belias..
    -rico1931
  • Options
    what is "multiple line items"?
    why you should use getdata and setdata functions, is related to "chapter 11" so to say...it's not always necessary, but if you use them, there is no problem except the fact you have to code a lot in rdlc. which is annoying, isn't it?
    Note that Header means report header, not the header of the table you put in the body section.
    landscape problem have been hotfixed in build 30212 or so...try to search landscape in mibuso, you'll eventually find the thread
    EDIT: instead of searching the hotfix, you can wait some days for the nav2009 r2 to come out 8)
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    when I say multiple line Items I mean Items that show up in the body i.e "purchased goods" .. and I cheated (story of my life in this project) and copied the code from here ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd301162.aspx) ...and am taking a look at the original report from NAV (report #204) and taking their fields and just pasting it into my page header :) .

also I COMPLETELY agree with you Belias!!! about waiting till R2 comes out.. first quarter of next yr right? I've been reading that they are going to completely get rid of the classic client. Unfortunately the president of the company wants this program rolled out by Jan 1 <<--ya not going to happen.. since he invested to much money he wants to see it working..

and i'll def be searching for the landscape problem.. I'm going to keep being active in the forum checking it every day.. this place is a wealth of information!

Thanks again! Belias.
    -rico1931
  • Options
    you're welcome, but i want to point out that:
    1. 2009R2 will come out before christmas...something between 15th and 20th december
    2. classic client still exists in nav2009r2, althought Microsoft will get rid of it in "nav 7" (will be available in 2012 or so)

you're really putting a lot of effort in research, before aking questions; congratulations: this is the way to use the forum! :thumbsup:
    -Mirko-
    My Blog