Options

NAV 2009 Install & Config Exam: Polling Thread

JDVyskaJDVyska Member Posts: 179
edited 2010-12-03 in General Chat
I'm not going to clutter up the Exam forum with this thread, since it's more opinion than question/answer about a test.

I've taken that bugger of a test, MB7-838, twice, and that software distribution/GPO crud is killing my ability to pass it. I've done all the eLearning, and have already implemented several Dynamics NAV 2009 installations, so one would think I was prepared. I'm just curious how other seasoned NAV professionals have fared on this exam. I'd love to be able to say, "out of 30 people I've asked, x% failed because of that part of the test".

Can folks who've taken it reply with how long they've been doing NAV and how they did on this test? Overall is fine, but if you still have the printout with sections, I'd love to also see individual scores on "Deployment" and "Optimization and Troubleshooting". Feel free to use just the polling options or reply with whatever details you'd like.
JEREMY VYSKA
CEO, Spare Brained Ideas, Göteborg, Sweden
New (April 2021) Getting Started with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Book Available: "Your First 20 Hours with Business Central"

Comments

• Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    I have held off on taking it for precisely that reason. I don't pretend to know everything there is about installation and configuration, but was able to pass the 5.0 exam. People who I know are WAY more knowledgeable on the subject seem to all be failing this. I don't see the point in wasting my money :D
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I passed it on first go, but mainly because:

1) As MVP, I know the "behind the scene" of this version (history and development of the version)
    2) I am sometime working as administrator in our company, thus GPO is not unknow for me
    3) I am doing SQL optimizations sometime, thus nothing unknown there
    4) I have used only the MS book for this course for learning "what is expected to answer"
    5) After the exam I have filled in the feedback with my comments for the wrong or unclear (or discutable) questions, I hope that somebody have read that
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    kine wrote:
    I passed it on first go...

There's a reason you're the #1 poster :D
  • Options
    PoltergeistPoltergeist Member Posts: 200
    I've past it on the first test, but have to agree that the GPO/Installation part is
    - not very well covered in the official Microsoft study guide
    - is not NAV specific, so it should not be in this exam. It's a Windows feature, not a NAV feature...
    - is only doable if you have experience with GPO's
  • Options
    azerty74azerty74 Member Posts: 82
    I passed it on the first go :D

But I must admit I found it to be a very difficult exam. I'm an MCT and have about 6 years of experience in NAV and that helped me a great deal. The topics on deployment are really difficult to answer if, like me, you don't have any experience with GPO and SDP.

Some questions require you to select 1 correct answer, and in the available answers sometimes 2 of them are actually correct, and then it becomes a guessing game...

I found that in the official MOC course there are also a lot of errors, and when you get a question about that on the exam, what should you answer: the correct answer or the answer as explained in the MOC ?

My advice is to really study the book, also the sections about troubleshooting and examples. It also helps if you do the actual LABS a couple of times.
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing code. Therefore if you write the code as cleverly as possible you are by definition not smart enough to debug it.