Options

Ways to speed up the RTC?

VotucVotuc Member Posts: 206
edited 2010-11-02 in NAV Three Tier
What (if anything) can be done to speed up the performance of the RTC?

I have a client that just upgraded ----and their machines are meeting (or exceeding) the minimum requirements, but it is still very slow. ](*,)

I wish there was a "adjust for best performance" option in the RTC like in Windows... [-o<

Answers

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Minimum requirement doesn't mean that it will be fast.

Could you put your spec for the client and service tier and sql server?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    ara3n wrote:
    Minimum requirement doesn't mean that it will be fast.

Could you put your spec for the client and service tier and sql server?

I can't check the client computers at the moment, but server is:

Windows server 2003 SP2
    1GB Ram
    Xeon CPU 2.8 GHz, 2.79 GHz

We have the first two tiers on the same server computer.

We are going to add RAM - I am hoping this will help considerably? [-o<

With Classic NAV - ram was not as important since the business logic was done on the Client machine (hence the low RAM on the server - wasn't really needed).
  • Options
    Rob_HansenRob_Hansen Member Posts: 296
    For the low cost of RAM nowadays, it boggles my mind when I hear of servers with only 1 or 2 GB. Even on classic for a smaller client, I would always recommend more. 1 GB is very, very low if you have SQL and the NAV Server both running on that server.
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Define "slow".

RTC, by default, runs slower than the classic client.
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    also what's the drive config? 1 drive or multi-drive? Raid Setup? Do you have OS, Data & Logs all wrting to the same disks or all have their own?

I see more powerful servers on ebay for under $200.00
  • Options
    beranberan Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 80
    To find the cheapest and fastest ways of improving performance based on hardware is based on the number of users, the amount of calculations on the Nav Server and the load on the SQL server. Below is a sum up of some details around hardware performance. Exactly the way to choose for better performance is dependent on the three parameters mentioned above.

The SQL server needs good access to file data for 'log', 'OS' and 'data'. Some people recommend they are separated in on at least three harddisk systems. OS and log can be in one database system and data in another. Log is mainly writing and occasionally synced with the data. Data needs both reading and writing. Understanding RAID here is important look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID. The concepts about mirroring and striping and different types of RAID'ing is important. Mirroring is good for harddisk failures and striping is good for speed. RAID 5 has bad reputation due to lower speed.

As for the NAV server give 4 GB (it is cheap these days) and multiple processors if the memory was not enough. Nav server is still running 32 bit so it can only read 4 GB.

The connection between database and Nav server should be good both for latency and bandwidth. Latency is the round trip time - if I send a byte to the server and get a reply and it takes 50 ms then latency is 50 ms. Bandwidth is well known.

The latency between client and NAV server should be as low as possible but of course it is mostly governed by the laws of physics and the amount of routers. The bandwidth is also interesting...

I hope this info helps to make the right decisions..
    Eric Beran
    Software Design Engineer II
    Dynamics NAV Office 365
    Microsoft

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    The SQL transaction log should be on its own dedicated drive. That means nothing else, not even other logs on the drive.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    bbrown wrote:
    The SQL transaction log should be on its own dedicated drive. That means nothing else, not even other logs on the drive.
    And "dedicated drive" means physical drive and not a partition!
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions...
  • Options
    beranberan Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 80
    Multiple suggestions were given. What helped you speeding it up?
    Eric Beran
    Software Design Engineer II
    Dynamics NAV Office 365
    Microsoft

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.