Options

Microsoft Dynamics NAV three-tier multithreaded architecture

alok_didaalok_dida Member Posts: 73
edited 2010-09-20 in NAV Three Tier
Guys .. I know it's very basic question and I have an idea about it but still I have a doubt regarding this so I am asking here this question. Correct me if I am wrong and sorry for this.

As Microsoft Dynamics NAV is following three-tier multithreaded architecture model. As per my knowledge in 3-tier architecture Presentation Layer (in our case RTC) is not directly connected to Database. First It will connect to Business layer (in our case NAV Server) and than Business layer will communicate with Database.

Now as per my requirement I have to install Database, NAV Server and NAV Client (RTC) on different system. I am done with it successfully also.

But I have a question for you.

1)First I have installed Database on "Server1".

2)Then I have installed NAV Server on "Server2" with specifying parameters for DatabaseServer Name , Database Server Instance and Database Name.I am able to start service on Server2.

3)Now I am installing RTC on my system "System3" . I am able to install it Successfully. Now I have to connect to the Server2 service so I am changing my CustomSettings file with adding one tag ServerName and rest of all parameters(DatabaseServer Name , Database Server Instance and Database Name). I am able to implement all this things successfully.RTC successfully connected to the Database.

Now my question is why do we have to specify parameters (DatabaseServer Name , Database Server Instance and Database Name) on client system( "System3") because we already specify it at Service level? One thing is obvious in RTC we always need a Service to connect to Database and in Service we already specify parameters so why do we need all this parameters at Client level?

For my sanctification I tried to remove that parameters but it's not allow me too Start service on my system.

Can anybody tell me why it's happening ? Is it violate the three-tier multithreaded architecture definition?

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    One question: where you have find the CustomSettings config file on system3? There is no such a file in for RTC. RTC is using settings saved in profile folder in ClientUserSettings.config if I am correct... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Jens_M-PJens_M-P Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 39
    Can you elaborate a little on your setup and on which version you are seeing this problem on (2009 or 2009 SP1)?
    I am a little confused, as you talk about items not needed in the client configuration file - but it is the service that you cannot successfully start.

The database name should only be necessary in the service configuration file - and not in the client configuration file. And if the database name is not in the service configuration file, then the service (on the middle tier) will not start.
    Best regards,
    Jens Møller-Pedersen [MSFT]

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no rights.