Options

Lots of lost functionality on pages

FlowerBizFlowerBiz Member Posts: 34
edited 2010-08-30 in NAV Three Tier
I'm getting very discouraged when I try to convert forms to pages. I have a form that has several fields that are type text yet I want the data to be displayed right aligned. This control no longer exists for fields on pages. Is there a work-around?

Another control that I use is to change the visibility of a field "on the fly". With pages, it appears that you can only do this in the OnInit and OnOpenPage triggers. What good is that if you need to make the decision later on (say, based on a user choice after the page has been opened)?

I hope Microsoft is listening and puts back a lot of the functionality present in forms that was omitted from pages in the next release. For instance, there's absolutely no reason why a full pallette of foreground and background colors can't be applied to fields on a page. The whole argument of "what, not how" falls very flat when you consider that a new style control was added to change the appearance of a field (albeit in a very limited way). Why go to the trouble of adding a completely new control when the former controls sufficed and were so much more powerful?

Comments

• Options
    Rob_HansenRob_Hansen Member Posts: 296
    I just wanted to say that I've been feeling your pain and agree that Microsoft needs to significantly expand the flexibility of pages. It's been frustrating to have to tell clients we can't do things that normally used to be so simple. Or, we can, but we have to build a custom add-in and it will cost you a lot...where we used to just set a property or add code that took a couple minutes.
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    You know, there is never time to include all features in the first version. Just wait for next version, send the request to MS to be sure, that they know about this...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Rob_HansenRob_Hansen Member Posts: 296
    Thanks Kamil. What is the best forum to submit requests/suggestions to Microsoft? We are a Dynamics partner, but I'm not sure if we should submit items through partnersource or some other mechanism. Does anyone know what's the best approach?

When I gripe to my business partner about the RTC, his response is always in line with what you're saying - that it's essentially a version one product and should be viewed as such. I understand that...but it's still frustrating to be lacking so many things that we took for granted in the classic client. But...it does look pretty. :)
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    For submitting suggestions, look there: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=152941
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.