Options

Production reservations - Driving me up the wall

JohnPJohnP Member Posts: 56
Hi,
This has been annoying me all day and I just can't seem to find the right answer. Hopefully someone else out there can save what hair I have left. :x

I've got a production order with four lines on it. Lines 1 to 3 all have the output of line 4 as a component (line 4 produces a big pile of items that are then packaged off three different ways). So lines 1-3 have planning level = 0 and line 4 has planning level = 1. Reservations link line 4 to the components of lines 1-3. So far so good so normal.

I now have a simplified output journal form where the users enter the amount of packaged items they have produced (i.e. output from lines 1-3) and this implicitly generates a further output journal line against line 4 for a suitable quantity of the mass produced product. The journal against line 4 obviously has to be posted first so that the components are in stock for the posting against the packaged lines (backward flushing is in effect).

OK, so that's the background, now the problem. Let's say that there is a partial posting against line 1. The process posts the journal for a suitabe quantity against line 4, but when it gets to posting against line 1, it says that the reserved item (line 4) is not on inventory. Digging into the process, it turns out it is transferring the reservation entries against line 4 so that the output is reserved against line 2, rather than line 1. So when line 1 comes to post, it finds that all the stock is reserved for another line.

I think this is because of the order the reservation entries appear in table 337. For some unknown reason, the reservations against line 2 are stored ahead of the reservations against line 1 and so it picks that up first.

I guess what I need to do is mess with the reservation sort order when it is working out which reservation entry to apply to or somehow tell it where I want to transfer the output. Maybe it's obvious and I'm just having a bad day and can't see it for looking. Does anyone have any thoughts please?

Cheers
John

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    hello are the first 3 lines consist of 3 different Item or same item?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    JohnPJohnP Member Posts: 56
    Hi Rashed: Different items, it's the same basic product but packaged in different quantities with different packaging so they are individual items (BOM = base product plus releavnt packaging for each one).

Anyway, I've taken the path of least resistance. When I come to post against line 4, I kill any reservations against it and that allows it to post. With the consumption posting following immediately behind it, it should all match up as there should never be anything sitting unpackaged on the item ledger.

Thankf for looking anyway.
    cheers
    John