Options

Nav 3.70 database with Nav 4.3 SQL client on SQL 2008?

WigiWigi Member Posts: 13
edited 2010-06-28 in SQL General
Goodday,

It is said somewhere on this forum that "MS has already said that they will not be supporting anything prior to 5.0 SP1 on SQL 2008. Even that may need updates. NAV 4.0 SP3 (with updates) may be an exception."

Could anybody give me an (MS) URL where I can get this information confirmed?

A customer with a 3.7 database, on SQL 2005, using the 4.3 client, wants to upgrade to SQL 2008, I therefore need the requested information/confirmation.

Thanks, Wim

Comments

• Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Wigi wrote:
    A customer with a 3.7 database, on SQL 2005, using the 4.3 client, wants to upgrade to SQL 2008, I therefore need the requested information/confirmation.

3.7 is not supported on SQL 2005. To make it work you would have had to make a hack directly in SQL.

So if you have already hacked the system, why are you looking for a supported version? Upgrading to 2008 can't be much worse than what they already have.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    strykstryk Member Posts: 645
    I guess we're talking about 3.70 objects on a 4.0 SP3 C/SIDE client on SQL 2005 - this is OK, no "hack" required.

But to run NAV with SQL Server 2008 you need at least 4.0 SP3 Update 6 Build 25143 (technically / C/SIDE Client, object version does not matter).
    See https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/documentation/systemrequirements/navcompatibility_sqlserver2008_windowsserver2008.htm?printpage=false&stext=nav%20sql%202008
    Jörg A. Stryk (MVP - Dynamics NAV)
    NAV/SQL Performance Optimization & Troubleshooting
    STRYK System Improvement
    The Blog - The Book - The Tool
  • Options
    Ah yes Joerg you are right, I guess its safe to assume when he said 4.3 client he actually mean 4.00 SP3 executables. I just skipped that since it was obviously wrong.

Why do people ask technical questions, especially questions about versions, and then make up some completely wrong version number. For crying out loud if you want help at least give correct information.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Lars_WestmanLars_Westman Member Posts: 116
    You will never find a MS-URL stating it's safe to run on different versions of the database and the executables. Even though it's (most of the time) safe to do it, MS won't guarantee it.

The biggest change in my opinion is the change from fast forward cursors to dynamic cursors in Version 4.0 SP3 Update6(940718) + KB950920 and later. This can really mess things up depending on how customizations is done and makes performance tuning much more difficult.

/Lars
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    2009SP1 executables will not work on 2009 database in RTC.

Other than using the RTC, I haven't encountered any problems with the classic client.

<rant>
    It's amazing how complicated things has to be in an attempt to make our life easier...
    </rant>
  • Options
    Alex Chow wrote:
    <rant>
    It's amazing how complicated things has to be in an attempt to make our life easier...
    </rant>

It's called "selling the stack".
    David Singleton