Options

Specific installation in three layers

RMarcRMarc Member Posts: 36
edited 2010-06-07 in NAV Three Tier
Hi all,

I need our help!!
One of my customers want to move the SQL database off-site and leave within Dynamics NAV client's and Navision Service Tier.
The middle layer and the database are connected by a tunnel of 10 MB.

I have doubts about whether this type of installation is possible and will work well, ie if users will not notice slow to work with Navision.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Options
    mark_aumark_au Member Posts: 40
    Hi RMarc,

I'd be concerned in your situation too. Whilst I haven't look too deeply into this and can't really say what to expect as far as performance would go, I think the following two points should be important to you in making the decision:

Firstly, how many concurrent users does the site have? Obviously performance will vary depending on this number. If they are a fairly large site then personally I would straight out say no to them doing this.

Secondly, if you HAVE to go down this path, I believe the Service Tier should be kept on the side of the WAN that the database is on. Most of the processing should be done between the database and service tiers, and the client really only displays the information. With that setup the performance shouldn't be anywhere near as bad as if it is kept where it is.

That said, I haven't looked into this scenario in too much detail, so I'd wait for some more input. But logically this is how a 3-tier program should operate, all the heavy stuff is done between database and 'business layer' (NAV Service), and the lighter interaction/display is done between client and 'business layer'.