Options

RTC in NAV

sakameeransakameeran Member Posts: 52
edited 2010-05-11 in NAV Three Tier
Hi Experts! This is Ahamed Meeran and i am new to NAV. Could you please describe me what is RTC (Role Tailored Client), How can we use RTC and for What kind of job we can use RTC?

Comments

• Options
    Ian_Piddington10199Ian_Piddington10199 Member Posts: 167
    RTC is exactly that a client. You would use it to work with the application in very much the way that you would use the classic client.

There are a number of differences and some people will no doubt suggest using Classic instead of RTC for various things, either because it’s easier or because they prefer classic, but generally speaking anything you can do in classic you can do in RTC. The main exception being develop, for that you pretty much have to use classic at this time

To use RTC you need to have a SQL database and the service tier installed and running for the client to connect to.

if you want to know more about how to actually use the RTC, or NAV generally for that matter, I would suggest that you a) install a full demo on a machine and try to use the RTC or b) attend some training as I think that would answer the majority of the questions you have.

Or am I missing the point behind your question?

Regards

Iian
    Regards

Ian
  • Options
    sakameeransakameeran Member Posts: 52
    Thank you very much! Ian. Do you have any idea that where can we get the demo version as you mentioned? Do you have any download link or study materials to learn RTC. It would be very helpful to me, if you share the same. Thanks in Advance
    RTC is exactly that a client. You would use it to work with the application in very much the way that you would use the classic client.

There are a number of differences and some people will no doubt suggest using Classic instead of RTC for various things, either because it’s easier or because they prefer classic, but generally speaking anything you can do in classic you can do in RTC. The main exception being develop, for that you pretty much have to use classic at this time

To use RTC you need to have a SQL database and the service tier installed and running for the client to connect to.

if you want to know more about how to actually use the RTC, or NAV generally for that matter, I would suggest that you a) install a full demo on a machine and try to use the RTC or b) attend some training as I think that would answer the majority of the questions you have.

Or am I missing the point behind your question?

Regards

Iian
  • Options
    danlindstromdanlindstrom Member Posts: 130
    sakameeran wrote:
    Thank you very much! Ian. Do you have any idea that where can we get the demo version as you mentioned? Do you have any download link or study materials to learn RTC. It would be very helpful to me, if you share the same. Thanks in Advance

There are several places to obtain a copy.
    What kind of user are you? Partner, end-user or other?
    If you are a meber in Microsoft Partner Network you can download it from msdn
    End-users can get it from CustomerSource or ask a reseller of NAV
    Regards
    Dan Lindström
    NCSD Navision 2.00 since 1999 (Navision Certified Solution Developer)
    MBSP Developer for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009