Options

SQL 2008 and "Rows Data"

cnicolacnicola Member Posts: 181
edited 2010-03-05 in SQL General
Hi,

One of my clients bought a new server and installed SQL 2008 on it (64 Bit) and has transferred the db from the current SQL 2005.
When I look at the db properties in SQL 2008 I see that the datafile data type is set to "Rows Data" (in SQL 2005 used to be just Data and not even the help for SQL 2008 shows that option). Their IT guy says that SQL 2008 does that to support some (unnamed) features specific to 2008 (apparently it adds an unique row ID to every record according to him). It seems it is an option that you can select during SQL install.
Since I am paranoid by nature :oops: I do not like this new thing (I already have to worry about performance on the new server with Navision tuning) so I was wondering whether anybody knows anything about this and whether I should leave it as is or have the IT guy reinstall SQL without that option.

Thanks,
Cristi Nicola
Apathy is on the rise but nobody seems to care.

Comments

• Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    Well, I follow up quite well on SQL, but I didn't read anything about it.
    I use SQL Server 2008 on my portable and I have seen row data.

I hit F1 on the field and found this:
    File Type
    Select the file type from the list. The file type can be Data, Log, or Filestream Data. You cannot modify the file type of an existing file.

The FILESTREAM option will not appear if FILESTREAM is not enabled. You can enable FILESTREAM by using the Server Properties (Advanced Page) dialog box.

Conclusion : I think that the Microsoft SQL server guys were bored of seeing "Data" and changed it to "Rows Data".
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!