Installing NAV 2009 in two boxes

premnavpremnav Member Posts: 43
edited 2010-03-04 in NAV Three Tier
Hi Everybody,

When it comes to deployment, now we can go for 2 boxes for installing the NAV service Tier & SQL DB server with the new RTC architecture. My question in this regard is that I am going to propose the following Hardware configuraion for one of my client who is going to have 75 concurrent basis users.

For Database Server :
CPU: 2 x Quad Core 2 Quad CPU 3.0 GHz or better,
RAM: 8GB,
Hard Disk: SAN implementation preferred
NIC: 2 x Gigabit Network Interface cards

For Application Server: (NAV Service Tier)
CPU: 1 x Quad Core 2 Quad CPU 3.0 GHz
RAM: 4GB,
Hard Disk: 3x146 GB SAS RAID 5
NIC: 2 x Gigabit Network Interface cards

Could anyone give me a feedback on the above configurations. In fact I have proposed 8 GB RAM for the SQL DB server while 4 GB RAM is proposed is for the Service Tier. Can this be recomended?

With the new RTC architecture, which box is going to have the great amount of resources. Is is the DB server OR Application server?

If somebody has any experience on this subject please give me a feedbank on this.

Thank you

PREM NAV

Answers

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Your memory on both boxes is not enough. I suggest to increase it to 32.

For service tier. You are going to install two service on this pc mainly because the suggested that 30-50 per service tier.

Each user is going to need between 50 to 200 meg of ram on the box. So I suggest to increase that to at least 16 gig. If you want to be safe, I suggest to up it to 32.

Also the service tier is very cpu intensive, and thus one quadcore cpu might be enough, but I would instead have the sql box with 1 quad core and the service tier with two quadcore.

It would be better if both were quadcore.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • premnavpremnav Member Posts: 43
    Hi Rashed,

Thanks for your feedback. What I understand is that more load is put into the Service Tier than the db server.
    In that sense, more memory is required for the Service Tier than the DB server suppose we are going for two boxes. Please let me know whether my understanding is correct.

In fact, after series of discussions, now customer is going only for 25 concurrent users in the first phase; If we are to suggest only one box for both service tier & Db server then what would be suggested configurations for the server ?

Your valueble thoughts would be grealty appreciated.
    Thanks you

PREM NAV

ara3n wrote:
    Your memory on both boxes is not enough. I suggest to increase it to 32.

For service tier. You are going to install two service on this pc mainly because the suggested that 30-50 per service tier.

Each user is going to need between 50 to 200 meg of ram on the box. So I suggest to increase that to at least 16 gig. If you want to be safe, I suggest to up it to 32.

Also the service tier is very cpu intensive, and thus one quadcore cpu might be enough, but I would instead have the sql box with 1 quad core and the service tier with two quadcore.

It would be better if both were quadcore.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Up the memory to 32 gig, and you should be fine till you add the additional users and get a separate box.
    The Service tier is 32 bit so it can take up to 4 gig each.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n