Options

NAV Upgrade/Migrate from Older Version to NAV 2009

nav_presalesnav_presales Member Posts: 35
edited 2010-02-24 in NAV Three Tier
Hello Experts, :)

I am working on one Upgradation project and thought to standardize the migration processes for NAV. This means that, we make a thumb rule to migrate from older version(3.0, 4.0, 5.0) to NAV 2009. Is there any thing which can help me doing this ? [-o<

I am taking following tasks and doing it for OOB implementation,
• Data Conversion Planning
• Upgrade C/SIDE® on Microsoft® SQL Server® - if upgrading an SQL database
• Changing old customized data on Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Classic client
• Import New Objects
• Test the New database
• Install all the new clients

How much time it should take to do the migration work ? :-k

If any one has idea on the same please suggest.

Regards,
NAV Presales

Comments

• Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    How much time it should take to do the migration work ? :-k

I would budget somewhere between one day and two years, based on upgrades that I have seen people do. I would be very confident to say that more than 99.9% of upgrades will fit in that budget estimate.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    I would be very confident to say that more than 99.9% of upgrades will fit in that budget estimate.

David....thanks for there reply. Yes, I do understand that your estimation is 100% correct and not 99.9%. But my expectation from the post was to know...say if I have done OOB implementation of NAV 5.0 and want to migrate to NAV 2009....what could be the ideal time line to do the same. I just want to have a benchmark based on the tasks mentioned.

I hope you got the point I wanted to convey [-o<
  • Options
    ....what could be the ideal time line to do the same. I just want to have a benchmark based on the tasks mentioned.

I based this on experience.

I once had a client running 3.55 and wanted to upgrade to 2.60. I did the whole upgrade on site in one day including using upgrade tools to move 3.55 to 1.3 and then 1.3 to 2.60 and customization of objects.

I once quoted an upgrade for a company in Bangalore. They felt they could do it cheaper using their in house resources. After 2 years they are still working on the upgrade after 2 times so far attempting to go live on 4.00sp3 and 5.00sp1 they are still on 3.70.

So my experience is that an upgrade can take from 1 day to 2 years.
    David Singleton
  • Options

=D> Good to hear this David.... \:D/

But, I think there should be some benchmark to do this....... [-o<
  • Options

=D> Good to hear this David.... \:D/

So pick a random number between those options and use it. From your user ID I am guessing you are just looking for a number that can close the deal and with the minimum amount of upfront analysis work on your part so you can get your commission and move on. So its probably irrelevant what comments are made here.

Answer this question:

How many upgrades have you company completed successfully on budget?
    David Singleton
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    This is like asking for a benchmark number for "how long does it take to get to work".
  • Options
    From your user ID I am guessing you are just looking for a number that can close the deal and with the minimum amount of upfront analysis work on your part so you can get your commission and move on. So its probably irrelevant what comments are made here.

David.....There is always difference in ur own opinion and Originality. If you dont knw the Fact....better to be quite than showing over smartness........ I have created my ID when I was in Presales 4 years Ago...... Now I m PM.... but still using the same ID as it is working and I dont have any issues with it...

[-X
    Answer this question:

If you want to get answer to this question.... create another Post.... this is not right place to get it answered..... :thumbsdown:

I hope you will understand how to react in public and will think before you write something..... #-o
  • Options
    From your user ID I am guessing you are just looking for a number that can close the deal and with the minimum amount of upfront analysis work on your part so you can get your commission and move on. So its probably irrelevant what comments are made here.

David.....There is always difference in ur own opinion and Originality. If you dont knw the Fact....better to be quite than showing over smartness........ I have created my ID when I was in Presales 4 years Ago...... Now I m PM.... but still using the same ID as it is working and I dont have any issues with it...

[-X
    Answer this question:

If you want to get answer to this question.... create another Post.... this is not right place to get it answered..... :thumbsdown:

I hope you will understand how to react in public and will think before you write something..... #-o

Well thank you for the lesson. I am not sure how I survived without your guidance before. :whistle:
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Well thank you for the lesson. I am not sure how I survived without your guidance before.

Wow.... U could have consulted some one long back.... u would have been a better person at least..... :wink:
  • Options
    I have created my ID when I was in Presales 4 years Ago.
    Viewing profile - nav_presales
    User statistics
    nav_presales

Last visited: 24 Feb 2010 15:56

:whistle:
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Quote:
    Viewing profile - nav_presales
    User statistics
    nav_presales

Last visited: 24 Feb 2010 15:56

David....It seems you dont have enough work to do....rather wasting time of people....do some creative work....u could have answered to the question..... ](*,) ... but u knw...some people have habit of doing such stupid things..... Happens.... Pls Grow up :-$
  • Options
    infonoteinfonote Member Posts: 233
    It is impossible to predict how long an upgrade will take.

1) Navision version
    E.g. If you are on Nav 3, you will most probably have to upgrade to version 4, 5 and then 2009. All this takes time.

2) Customisation.
    How much customisation will there be. Merging takes quite some time.

3) New functionality.
    Will new functionality override any existing functionality? e.g. If in Nav 3, you have a custom program and Nav 2009 provides the same functionality, you then have to modify the new Nav functionality to meet the Nav 3 custom system.

4) Testing.
    Migration is fine but you have to bill the time for testing the upgrade locally first and then testing post-implementation.

5) If Nav 3 is using Native Database, will you upgrade to SQL?
    If yes, this takes time.

These are some things that come in my head. I am sure I am missing some major points.

So the estimate depends on all these things.
  • Options
    infonote wrote:
    It is impossible to predict how long an upgrade will take.

Wonderful.... Thank you so much infonote.... =D> this is what I was looking for..... I wanted to know the basic thing first. even if you say you are missing something..... I can explore more going in details...once i have the base ready....

Thanks once again .... \:D/