Options

Query On Installation

nav_126nav_126 Member Posts: 77
edited 2010-02-14 in NAV Three Tier
Dear All,

I am through with the testing of demo database 3 tier on 2 machines. Now, when I have installed demo database, it is automatically stored in C drive of the system.

Now, how should i restore my client's backup which should be stored in other drive and how to set up the config files and instance name for that? I am confused on that. If any document available will help me.

If anybody has done the same. Please let me know.

Regards
Navision Developer

Comments

• Options
    manisharma31manisharma31 Member Posts: 285
    Hi,
    check the below link which will guide you to create second service for accessing another database.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd301437.aspx
    Regards,
    Manish
  • Options
    Hi,

What I am trying to say is that when I install demo database, it is installed in my C drive in Microsoft SQL Server folder.

But i can see only 2 files. i.e..mdf and .ldf files.

If I want a fresh database to be accessed through RTC then how to go for that? When I install RTC on client machine what should be the instance name? how to define that?

Regards
    Navision Developer
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Hi,
    check the below link which will guide you to create second service for accessing another database.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd301437.aspx
  • Options
    Hi,

I have gone through the walkthrough.

Now can anyobe explain me when I install a demo database it has only 2 files that is .mdf and .ldf.

But when i install a database in Navision with SQL Server Option then we have 3 files in the SQL folder. i.e.
    .mdf, .ldf, .ndf.

in walkthrough it is explained how to create a service and instance name.

Now, I have restored a new database on a server machine. I have installed NAV Server on that. BUt still not able to access the NAV server through RTC Client.

Regards
    Navision Developer
  • Options
    That's not the only walkthrough in there you know, dig around for the other ones, you might find one that explains the thing you are looking for.

By default when creating a new NAV database on SQL Server it creates 2 data files, the primary data file for the objects, and the secondary data file for the data (that's the mdf and ndf files). The ldf file is the transaction log. The demo database doesn't have the separation of objects and data, and everything is in the one primary data file.
  • Options
    Hi Den,

Thanks for your reply. I have searched other walkthroughs also.

As you explained, will it be fine if we have only 2 files in a database (one file for data and objects & one log file)?

Regards
    Navision Developer
  • Options
    Yes it will be fine, but why would you want to change the default behavior? Just leave the three files, it won't hurt anyone, it won't affect your performance.
  • Options
    HI Den,

Thnx for your reply. I do not have any issue with the 3 files. I will explain my scenario.

I have set an enviroment of 3 tier on 2 machines and installed demo database. I added some users and assign them roles. Its working fine. This is automatically store is C drive in server.

Now, I have created a new database with SQL Server option. Database is created. Now, I setup RTC client with this database but the user is not able to open the database. Error appears like server or instance related error. SQL Error 26.

As I do not have time to do some research, I am thinking to restore my database on a demo database and make my system live. so can i do that? Can I transfer my database files to D drive from C drive? any other changes required?

Regards
    Navision Developer
  • Options
    nav_126 wrote:
    I do not have time to do some research
    You will have to make time if you want to really know this kind of thing. These general matters are things that a senior can explain to you, and what you should take the training for. I don't have time to train you, and even if I did this forum is not the right way to go about getting trained.
  • Options
    Hi Den,

Thnx for your reply. I didnt ask you to train me. I just asked for your suggestion if fyou have seen that.

This firum is for learning and solving the doubts which can help others.

thanks for your quick help and suggestions.

If anyone can help please suggest.

Regards
    Navision Developer