Options

SSRS Export to Excel Convert Issue

gadzilla1gadzilla1 Member Posts: 316
edited 2010-01-12 in NAV Three Tier
Hello all,

After exporting SSRS report to excel, the column values for NAV Item No. only cause the following excel message:

'The number in this cell is formatted as text or preceded by an apostrophe'

Our company's item numbers can have no text or some text (example 100100 or 100100A). The item numbers with text have no apostrophe issue (like 100100A), the integers have an issue (100100). I've tried to use conversion formulas, but so far this has worked for some records and caused errors on the others (example =CInt(Fields!Item_No_.Value) causes an SSRS error for the 100100A item number).

Has anyone run into this issue? I need to eliminate the apostrophe in excel and am wondering if there is an existing SSRS function that handles this issue. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you, Chris

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Does that show in excel in upper left corner?

if yes, then that's not an error but info.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    Thanks, that is correct. I do not want that apostrophe or info to show up. I would like this field to behave like a 'general' datatype in excel, with no apostrophe.

Any ideas anyone?
  • Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    if it would act like general, what about if you have an item numbered 0000111?I can tell you: it will become 111, not correct!!
    trust me: it is better to have that apostrophe
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • Options
    In this case I know that I will not have the 0000111 example...all of my item numbers lead with 1 through 9.
  • Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    gadzilla1 wrote:
    In this case I know that I will not have the 0000111 example...all of my item numbers lead with 1 through 9.
    in my opinion this is not the correct approach in informatic science...you have to expect everything you can imagine to have your software working correctly without your intervention.
    BTW, why do you want to remove apostrophes?i don't think it is possible because it's the (absolutely correct) way it works, but your goal can probably be achieved in a different way than removing apostrophes
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog