Multiple copies installation failed

derrickderrick Member Posts: 86
edited 2010-01-04 in NAV Three Tier
Environment: 2 harddisks in a physical machine, WinXP in Drive C in harddisk 1, and another WinXP in Drive D in harddisk 2. Both of them are bootable without any issue from boot screen.

Previously, I have ACountry version of NAV2009SP1 being installed in Drive C, no issue.

Later, I installed BCountry version of NAV2009SP1 in Drive D, it failed before the "Install Demo" installation finished, the OS restarted itself without any error message. :cry: Since then, the WinXP OS in Drive D always restarted itself automatically once I logged in into it.

Does anybody have any idea? :|

Comments

• derrickderrick Member Posts: 86
    Any idea? Thanks in advance.
  • rdebathrdebath Member Posts: 383
    Installs where there are two copies of windows (that can see each other) on the same machine tend to be rather fragile. I'd strongly suggest you discard that copy of windows and replace it with a virtual machine. Or at the very least use a boot manager that hides the instances of Windows from each other.

Failure at login usually means that the drive letter that the system drive is assigned has gotten changed somehow, but I think that would probably have taken out both instances. In this instance I suspect that one of the essential services has been corrupted by the install, perhaps the two versions have both decided to install an important DLL to the drive with the most free space and one has stomped over the other.

IME, it's unlikely that you'll have enough information to fix the problem and even if you do manage to guess what's been broken a clean install will likely be a faster repair.

If you haven't turned off system restore this is the sort of thing that it may be able to help with if you can get to it.
  • derrickderrick Member Posts: 86
    Thanks Robert.

VM - slow and licensing issues, I will need more different copies.
    The 2 bootable instances, boot only 1 instance each time I select the desired OS from the boot screen before going in Windows.
    Doesn't matter the corrupted OS, it was a fresh installed, no important data in the OS, the other OS still remain alive without any problem.
    Yes, so far I have no enough information how to fix it.

Actually I had experienced before with only little difference, that was 1 harddisk with 2 partitions, 1 installed with XP, and the other Windows Server, both of them running different version of NAV without any issue.

Just wondering if any body has encountered before the same problem. Thanks in advance.