Options

Best Practices Analyzer selects wrong service

rcverbeekrcverbeek Member Posts: 32
edited 2010-01-04 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,

We've installed Navision on a server to use as a two tier solution, so with the SQL database on the same server.

However we also installed a three tier solution on the same machine, with the corresponding database on a seperate server. The extra Dynamics service runs under a newly created domain user and we set up the SPN's according to the MSDN documentation. Also the appropiate SQL Server modifications were made for this user.

The three tier solution however fails to work. When opening the server, SQL server shows the dreaded message "login failed for user nt authority anonymous logon".

I tried to run the BPA, but this seems to select the two tier situation only.

Is there a way to analyze the three tier solution? In other words, is their a way to provide the BPA with which 'instance' to investigate?

Thanks for your reply!

Regards Roeland

Comments

• Options
    alexpeckalexpeck Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 37
    BPA selects the service instance using the registry keys created by the NAV installer. Therefore, there is no 'out of the box' way to troubleshoot instances you created manually.

I would try swapping the config files between instances. You also need to swap over the service accounts if you are using domain users rather than network service.

The next easiest workaround I can think of would be to edit the path stored in the registry to point at your three tier system. There is a key called Image Path at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\MicrosoftDynamicsNavServer. I haven't personally tried this, and it is a bit of a hack, so exercise caution and make sure you back up the key you are editing. I know that the service management tools depend on these keys, so if you try this double check which service you are really starting/stopping etc.

If neither of the above work, your only option is to reinstall everything and make sure the instance created by the installer is the three tier instance.

Alex
  • Options
    rcverbeekrcverbeek Member Posts: 32
    Hi Alex,

Thanks for your detailed and expertise reply. Will be testing your suggestions!

Roeland