NAV 2k9 SQL DB integration with other Product's SQL DB

sanjeev_baranwalsanjeev_baranwal Member Posts: 101
edited 2009-12-11 in NAV Three Tier
Dear All,
My requirement is to place NAV as a backened system for a co. where main appliation works on .net and SQL server. Need is to use the Navision Financials module as a separate sql server in their finacial Deptt. BUT some financial information will be done on the .net application and then it should be ported to NAV so that NAV Financials can proceed on that. Also .net application should be able to see data from NAV DB also.
I am looking for approach to develop this.
1. Will linked server work on this (I havent done this ever before)
2. How can we establish DB to DB connectivity for Real Time system
Your comments are valuable and if anyone has done this kind of job then please share with me.

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    As each time, reading data is simple. But writing data into NAV is dangerous and you need to do it in a way, that business logic as NAV will be triggered. You can use the new WebService functionality to enter data into system with business logic triggered.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • sanjeev_baranwalsanjeev_baranwal Member Posts: 101
    Thanks kine...your info is very important...
    How linked server works...can we populate data from other server to NAV db and vice versa...This can be helpful for a small peice of data which is not needed to processed but only informational to NAV...means no validation required....Have you tried Linked server ever?
    I dont know how to setup Linked server and its preerquisites...
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, I have tried them once, through views I connected some tables from different servers as tables in NAV (Linked Objects). You need only setup the permissions correctly.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.